Thread: External Hard Drive + USB Hub Question!

External Hard Drive + USB Hub Question!

Hello.

I have ordered a WL-500G and I have two questions..

1) Can I use a USB hub to plug more than one device into the router? Printer is USB and I would like to plug in a USB hard disk (Vantec Nexus 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure)

2) Does USB hard disk support Windows File Sharing or FTP only? If not, does Asus plan to support Windows file sharing in a future firmware update.

Thanks!

Yes to both questions. An USB hub will work just fine, I have 4 USB devices connected on my WL500G.
    To allow windows filesharing you will need to configure SAMBA. Search this forum for loads of usefull information on this topic. For filetransfer I would like to suggest to use SCP (with the windows client WINSCP) and not use the insecure protocol FTP

You will also find some information on wl500g.dyndns.org. You may want to use Oleg's firmware anyway, that's the place to find it!

Have fun with your new WL500G

Peter

Make sure the USB hub and/or the harddisk have an external powersource. The Asus router cannot supply much power to USB devices.

Very interesting! thanks for the replies..

Now, maybe I should upgrade to the DLX version of the router (USB 2.0) becasue I'm concerned about the performance of the external hard disk.. I currently have one of these (network attached storage enclosure)

It gets 7mb/sec in Sandra's network test.. Would the Asus WL500G Deluxe be able to beat that?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by akula
    It gets 7mb/sec in Sandra's network test.. Would the Asus WL500G Deluxe be able to beat that?
    LMAO, now way ROFL. WL-500g Deluxe is a poor performer. Search this forum for other discussions and benchmarks about this.

Quote Originally Posted by akula
    Very interesting! thanks for the replies..

Now, maybe I should upgrade to the DLX version of the router (USB 2.0) becasue I'm concerned about the performance of the external hard disk.. I currently have one of these (network attached storage enclosure)

Thanks again.
    can you please tell me which version this is?

is it this one? http://www.trittontechnologies.com/p.../TRINSS001.htm

if yes please supply me with more stuff and where you bought it and what is the price?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Simple NAS

got it from my supplier.. I might be selling mine as I will be moving my Hard
    Drive into a computer!

If your interested in buying it, We could run it as an eBay auction if you would prefer.

e-mail me at cforum@moosepc.com

I will be on vacation until Friday the 22nd, and will reply then