Thread: wl500g deluxe USB 2.0 disabled?

Question wl500g deluxe USB 2.0 disabled?

Hi all,

because of the usbspeed i bought a wl500gx and replaced my wl-500g with it.
    so what i thought is that when i connect a usb 2.0 external hdd (deskstar 80gig) with a usb2.0 tested cable then the transfer rate should normally be 480mbit/s which equals 60mbyte/s - something wrong?

now i uploaded a file from my pc to this hdd and watched the speed..it's only 1,5mbyte/s which equals the 12mbit/s from usb1.1.

the pc is connected via a 100tbase cable to the router - so the only limitation should be the network cable.
    is it right that normally the rate should theoretically be something around 100mbit/s which equals 12,5mbyte/s ???

have i done something wrong? are there any settings/configs i could check for info?

do i have to enable this usb speed?

using firmware WL500gx-1.9.2.7-4.trx 14-Mar-2005 23:57 3.2M from oleg's site.

when i connect the hdd directly to my pc usb ports then the speed is incredible. so hdd, external case and cable seem to be ok.

so far and thanks in advance.
    alex - mod
    Last edited by modnet25; 10-04-2005 at 14:45. Reason: information added

The USB 2.0 standard says that the MAX. SPEED is up to 480Mb/s, but that doesnt mean that it has to work at that speed. There are 3 basic speeds:

- low speed (I think it is about 1,5Mb/s)
    - full speed (12Mb/s)
    - high speed (the usb controler tells to the usb host what speed he would like to use and that it is up to 480Mb/s)

The USB 2.0 is compatible to USB 1.1 that means that you can connect a USB 2.0 device to a USB 1.1 host, but you are limited to low and full speed.

There are a lot of USB 2.0 devices (and controlers) that can only connect with low and full speed on USB 2.0 host, but not with high speed.

The speed of reading and writing is limited by the CPU performance of the WL-500gx (Deluxe).

ok

so it's a normal speed?
    do you have some value to compare?

Some performance tests with WL-500g and Deluxe have been posted in this forum, so if you search you'll probably going to find them.

test

hmm or is there any possibility to do some performance tests on a connected usb-device?
    then i could do some tests from the router directly connected with putty.
    normally now i am using a windows pc to access the usb-hdd mounted as a samba share.

i am a bit disappointed. i thought the deluxe version will be better and faster with usb 2.0. until now i am wrong :-(

Well WL-500g does around 600Kbyte/s, so the WL-500gx is more then twice as fast...But I agree, it's still much too slow for my likings.

again

@styno: how do you get this values?
    i want to do some tests...is there any software? i tried to execute usbtree but only get the error "-sh usbtree: not found"

so how to do some performance tests?

Search for 'performance' or 'performance test' on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by modnet25
    @styno: how do you get this values?
    i want to do some tests...is there any software? i tried to execute usbtree but only get the error "-sh usbtree: not found"

so how to do some performance tests?
    just don't test

we are all disappointed.. you, me, Oleg and many others

maybe we should wait for the WL-700g which can carry a 3,5inch harddrive. But as I'm a proud *KUCH* owner of the WL-HDD which is getting speeds around 2megabyte/sec I do not expect much before I see it with my own eyes..

anyway 1,3megabyte/sec is a normal speed for the WL500g Deluxe(WL500gx)

in http://www.chupa.nl/wl500gx/ there is an XLS document with some speed test I measured which I stopped because it had no use to measure it further..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Unhappy ok

ok - thanks antiloop

i'm really f*cked up....this usb 2.0 thing is just b*llshit then...1,3mbyte/s

ok - 86 euro blown in the wind -

alex - mod

Anyway,. good that you brought this in the light again,.. as I was actually thinking about buying a deluxe version. Lucky I waited for a while now...

Will there be models that will have indeed higher speed? I searched on Asus website but could not find any direct folow ups on these models..
    Best ofcourse would still be aharddisk with a normal UTP on it.

I also have been thinking about the linksys, which claims to have 2 usb 2.0 highspeed ports, but I am afraid that this device will have the same 'specs' in the end..
    does anybody have tested that device yet?

It's not only that the speed is way under its theoretical limit. There seem to be more problems with USB 2!

I have Asus WL-500gx with a USB 2 3,5" enclosure connected. When I "saturate" the USB by doing some large file transfers with Samba or just grepping in files from within Asus, the transfer sort of locks up now and then. It happens randomly - let's say a few times per hour. And it lasts almost always 50 seconds. For 50 seconds the traffic stops. All other Asus parts seem to work OK, but doing for example cd /tmp/harddisk also waits until this "locked up state" is over, and then it finally changed the directory.

I suspected the enclosure of causing this, so I switched to 2,5" enclosure with another disk and the problem was still there.

What helps 100% is connecting the enclosure via USB 1.1 hub. The speed is then cripled to 0,5MBps, but the music does not stop playing during transfers...

Anyone else experiencing this?

BTW, I believe the 1,3MBps limit is a result of a poorly written USB driver rather than insufficient hardware performance.
    Last edited by lada; 13-04-2005 at 00:05.