Thread: Fastest / least laggy FW?

Fastest / least laggy FW?

I have been trying out the different FW through the 1.5 years.
    After failing with BT several times i bought a separate NAS (Dlink DNS-323) that works like a charm in comparison.

SO NOW:
    - I am looking for the FW that gives me the best wireless transfer speeds with WPA2 (and I guess AES encryption - since TKIP seems laggy as h.ll with huge dropouts in transfer rates)

Havent tried FW:
    - 2.0.0.1 - any better?
    - 2.0.0.6 with korean 40MHz? - does that mean more channels open up? If yes that would be helpful to get away from my interfering neightbours that are mostly between channel 1-9.

Would also like to be on the 5GHz band after reading this at Wikipedia:
    "To achieve maximum throughput a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band"

Is the ASUS WL-500W Bandwith option:
    - "Wireless N only" option = 5GHz band
    - "Auto" = 2.4 or 5GHz band depending on if i have G,B clients connecting?
    The popup help text in FW 1.9.8.9 still seems old and unclear - some seem to reside from the old Wireless G-router

I have Wireless G that i can use for PS3 built into my ADSL modem/router, so no problem to get connection to G separate. The problem is how to access my NAS that is on the Asus wired port - guess i could uplink it though.

Any ideas on FW and clarification of Asus strange naming convention on their "user friendly" names in the WL-5000W

Regards
    Boogieman

40MHz theoretically should give you higher throughputs when you only have a few clients connecting to the network, otherwise 20MHz is usually more effective

I do have to disappoint you that the wl-500w does NOT have 5GHz (802.11a) band, this is usually a 802.11n draft v2 technique. The wl-500w has 802.11n draft v1.
    These days 802.11n full version (everything is finally accepted now) is out, there aren't many devices out yet I think, since they just released is a few days ago

basicly, the wifi drivers never changed since the first asus FW...
    So the most important thing that's going to make your internet faster is the rest of the system. Currently I think the beta firmware from oleg is the fastest, at least, I never got more speed. http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/

Smile But at least final N upgrade is free

According to when i bought the routher they guaranteed the upgrade to final N for free, when it was finalized.
    So I hope to see the final version being released soon.
    Have asked cust supp and they said it should be up as after final specs are released.

Though I belevie we have to wait until October when the final N spec is publiced
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

Hope the throughput and the dodgy behaviour is fixed then.
    Now I only have to see if the WL-160N adapter works just as fine.
    Had a WL-160W before but got it replaced on warranty and instead got the msaller 160N. I beleive that it is probalby not as effective, but hopefully it is more stable than the 160W.

A pity they dont supprt 5GHz. I understood it as though they had both bands built in but you could only be active at one at a time. Odd...

Regards
    Boogieman

still I wonder

if what is called
    Wireless mode = 802.11 N ONLY
    in the router does not indeed open up the 5GHz band.
    It does exactly what is said on Wiki - namely:

"To achieve maximum throughput a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band.[7] An 802.11n-only network may be impractical for many users because the existing computer stock is predominantly 802.11b/g only"

Have you found the spec for the bands somewhere?
    Cant find it on asus site

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    if what is called
    Wireless mode = 802.11 N ONLY
    in the router does not indeed open up the 5GHz band.
    It does exactly what is said on Wiki - namely:

"To achieve maximum throughput a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band.[7] An 802.11n-only network may be impractical for many users because the existing computer stock is predominantly 802.11b/g only"

Have you found the spec for the bands somewhere?
    Cant find it on asus site
    I'm not sure again what the wlan card type was again, but it definitely does not support 5GHz, as said before, this is a draft-N v1 device.
    dual band is quite nice, but it only makes a real difference when there is lots of wireless activity around you.