Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new power supply

solved

Same issue here. 10v 1200uF capacitor corrupted in the power supply. Changed with a 25v 1200uF capacitor (20 cents). Also I made some little holes in the box before closing with glue.

Works!

Paolo

Just had the power supply on my 1.5 year old wl500g premium go. Got hpome from work and noticed I could not access the HDD attached to my router and WLAN was not working, but could still get online through wired connection. When I tried power cycling the router, the LAN LEDs and power LEDs were alternating (all 5 LAN lights would come on then go off, then power LED would come on and go off). Reset button had no effect. I found this post and suspected the problem might be with my power supply. I went through my parts bin and found the power supply from on old D-Link 5 port switch that was rated for 5VDC @ 2.4A, and the tip and polarity matched the Asus one. Plugged in the router with this power supply and router powered up and worked perfectly. So, anyone having a hard time find a power supply it looks like D-Link power supplies make good replacements.

I fixed mine replacing the defective 1200uF capacitor, in the meantime I ordered from a chinese eBay seller (just_for_survive) a D-Link 5V/3A power supply.
    This works perfectly on our Asus router.
    10US$ including shipping fares.

I have experienced problems similar to Mtmsol's: After having worked perfectly (running Tomato firmware) for more than a year, my Asus WL-500g Premium just stopped working one day. When power supply is plugged in, all five lights (LAN+WAN) give a steady glow.

I bought this generic PSU, but when I plug it in, LAN+WAN lights are flashing quickly, and the router appears not to be working at all.

Would this imply that something (capacitors?) is broken inside the router?

Quote Originally Posted by Halsnalle View Post
    Would this imply that something (capacitors?) is broken inside the router?
    Have you checked if the original Asus PSU is defective?

maybe a stupid question...

Did you check the polarity?

Quote Originally Posted by avberk View Post
    Have you checked if the original Asus PSU is defective?
    Well, the symptoms are the same as other people have reported here. But other than that, the only device I have with which to check the PSU is the Asus router, so I can't really determine whether it's the router or the PSU that is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamadite
    Did you check the polarity?
    Ehm, no. How do I check the polarity?

The powersupply connector is either +/- or -/+
    On most universal power supplies you can reverse the connector.

See this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_polarity.png

You will find this picture on the asus as well as on your power supply. Be sure that they match on both devices.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    Or you could harvest a power supply from an old computer. and spend the money on a multimeter, if you don't already have it.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply
    (actually, I didn't use this guide, I only connected the green wire on the ATX connection to a black wire (gnd). You have to have some kind of load connected to the psu so start with an old hard drive and see if it spins up. The first I tried didn't accept it that way, the second one did.)

This provides more than enough current for the asus, plus you have an option of other voltages to power other devices. And also. they are much more power-efficient than those single ac/dc adapters

I did this last week, 'converted' an old pc-power supply, now running the asus on it without a problem.

I also converted some other devices which were within reach of this old pc-psu.

- computer switch, runs of 12v
    - corldess phone base unit, runs of 5v
    - ventilation system for my hobby room, runs of 12v.
    - I already mentioned the asus.

So now I have a nice collection of 4 ad/dc adapters, replaced by one effecient power supply.
    (if you don't use the adapters, cut of the connectors to connect to and from the psu and the unit you want to power.)

things I'll have to convert, but I hadn't had the time yet.

- small speaker system for 2nd computer in hobby-room, runs of 12v
    - docking-station for laptop, run of 12v

the power supply is running now for almost a week, and it is cool and quiet (temperature controlled fan inside)....and efficient. (i measure, i know)

...every house should have efficient 12v/5v lines next to 220v, instead of dozens of ac/dc adapters for all kinds of equipment....

Hth
    Hi

A lot of power supplys damaged around my Asus box (1 router psu, 2 pcs. of cheap-chinese-hdd-psu s).
    Lastly i decided to use old atx psu to maintain hdd power, but did not realized that atx psu can be used as power suply for router, hdd, and manu more simulatously.
    I have only a question: on my atx psu written that +5V line is 15 Amps. Is this is not too high value for WL-500gP router? Can it handle it? I don't want to damage my box.

Greets!

Quote Originally Posted by kauczu View Post
    Hi

A lot of power supplys damaged around my Asus box (1 router psu, 2 pcs. of cheap-chinese-hdd-psu s).
    Lastly i decided to use old atx psu to maintain hdd power, but did not realized that atx psu can be used as power suply for router, hdd, and manu more simulatously.
    I have only a question: on my atx psu written that +5V line is 15 Amps. Is this is not too high value for WL-500gP router? Can it handle it? I don't want to damage my box.

Greets!
    ATX power supply, green and black (ground) pin must be connected through for power on.
    Amps not problem, but some sources (older atx) may require some load.

Using ATX power without switching on:
    take a look on atx label - stand by power +5VSB if have 2.5A (2A without USB hard drive)

connect router on purple and black cable, ... wow it runs without fan...(using only stand-by power for wol features etc.)
    Last edited by gouryella; 09-12-2009 at 20:56.
    RT-N13u dd-wrt | Toshiba 2.5" 160GB | pxe boot server

Quote Originally Posted by gouryella View Post
    Try to buy source from some shop with electronic components.
    I have this one http://www.gme.cz/cz/index.php?product=751-444 5V/4,5A output connector 5/2.1mm 12$
    connector looks same, but i must use some force to plug in to router :-(
    I bought above mentioned power supply from gme in Brno but it does not work at all with my asus wl500gp, not even when nothing is connected to the router (no usb stuff) - it just lights all leds and keeps them on infinitely, does not continue with boot.

It seems to me that this power supply is a Chinese crap - when I tried to short cut the power supply with 10 ohms resitor, I measured only 3.5V voltage on it, that means it delivered only 3.5V with 350mA!

I can't imagine how this power supply can work with your router?
    Or is just the piece I bought yesterday defective?
    If nothing is connected to the power supply, I can measure 5.2V voltage, so it's strange - how can they declare it to provide 5V/4.5A when it delivers only 3.5V with 350mA?

I am going to return it today, but I do not see a better alternative in the GM shop unfortunately.

I wanted to replace the original power supply with more powerful one in order to be able to run 2.5" hardisk with the router, but it seems I have a bad luck:-(

Quote Originally Posted by j4nn View Post
    I am going to return it today, but I do not see a better alternative in the GM shop unfortunately.
    So I returned the crappy power supply and got a better one, which has 5V/4A label and it works perfectly - it's this one, strange I could not see it in the list of power supplies:
    http://www.gme.cz/cz/index.php?product=751-545

I can now run asus router with seagate 2.5" 250GB harddisk connected, even two additional usb sticks and aver usb dvb-t tuner, all at the same time, running without problem even when wifi is on (having two additional usb ports mod and 128MB ram upgrade mod).

I have the same problem. I think the power supply is broken. Thank you for all the information. I will source a similar one in HK. See if it works.

Okay, I don't know why it didn't work the last time I tried, but I can now confirm that the generic PSU I mentioned in my previous post works, and my Asus has returned from the dead.

@tungtung: I am sorry for the (VERY) delayed answer.

This is the product link:
    http://conexelectronic.ro/produs.php?id=122402

The price is 15EURO.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast