Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new power supply

US power supply

Hello,

I'm used to live in Europe, and i'm actually in USA for my work. Does anyone knows that if i buy ASUS WL-500g in USA, the power supply is able to zork zith 220v in Europe then?

There is a sign on the power supply: INPUT 100-240V 50/60Hz, therefore just the plug is different. But I bet you'll get a european/US converter-plug @ radio shack or (larger) similar store for a couple $.
    Or you can get it here in Europe, several times I bought some in Europe and US.

Well, I don't live in States now, however, my experience is that 90% of the electronic stuff sold there is usually 110V only. So, check carefully before you buy.

al37919, you confirm my fears. So i ask to american users of this router, if their power supply is only at 110v or 110/220v (i already have a converter).

Power plug for 500gP

My power source is defective. I found another power source (5Volts 3Amps) but what kind of connector do I need? The alternative power source has a 2.1/5.5mm power connector, and I don't know if it fits.

I know I can buy another connector and replace the default one, but I'm not good at soldering things.

Quote Originally Posted by citro View Post
    My power source is defective. I found another power source (5Volts 3Amps) but what kind of connector do I need? The alternative power source has a 2.1/5.5mm power connector, and I don't know if it fits.

I know I can buy another connector and replace the default one, but I'm not good at soldering things.
    Just cut off the connector from the old power supply and adjust it on the new one while preserving the color code. But if you want to be 100% sure for the polarization use a multimeter to determine the positive and negative wires.
    It's not absolutely necessary to use soldering iron , you can just twist the wires and isolate them with heat shrinking tubes.
    Another way is to change the entire cable from inside the PSU with the cable from the old PSU. But here you'll need some soldering skills (it's not that hard ).
    Hope it helps.

Citro, if this helps somewhat ... the plug size is exactly the same as the one that Lacie use for their external drive (unfortunately theirs use 12V so can't use that). The adapter for the WL500GP is center positive by the way.

Oh and do you mind sharing the info where you get your replacement adapter? Mine is also toast, and I still am having trouble finding the replacement.

Getting a new power supply

There seems to be an influx of users with broken power supplies these days. I'm one of them. The only replacement power supply I found locally set me back ~$55 and didn't include a plug with the correct size. I'll probably have to do some soldering to make it work, but I still haven't given up trying to get a replacement from Asus. Here's the important parts of my communication with them:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    (wall of text detailing my troubleshooting and why I believe the power supply is dead) Is it possible to get my hands on a new power supply? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus
    Best Dear Valued ASUS Customer!

Unfortunately, we have to spare Power supplies to send. Your router is most likely defective, please contact your reseller.

Best Regards / Med Vänliga Hälsningar,

ASUS TMSS Support
    At this point I attempted to contact the online store where I bought the router. However, they have merged with a different online store and no longer sell Asus products. They could not help.

(...)
    My reseller could not help, because they no longer sell the product.

I have successfully confirmed that the router runs fine with a different
    power adapter (5V, max 4A), although the socket is too small to fit
    correctly in the router, so it cannot run without me holding it in or huge
    amounts of duct tape (which still wouldn't be too reliable).

Are you sure you can't order a spare power supply somehow?
    (...) The reseller is obliged to help you.

Unfortunately we have not spare parts to send out. (...)
    The router was ordered from Stretto.no, which has been bought by a company
    named Nicator (www.nicator.no). My original reseller no longer exists, and
    Nicator does not sell Asus products at all. In short: I do not have a
    reseller. What am I supposed to do?
    (...) Unfortunately, your router was sold by Asus to Ingram micro in Germany, which is why the warranty is not valid in any other country than Germany. (...)
    That sounds like a bullshit excuse to me. Has anyone been able to get a new power supply from Asus?

Try to buy source from some shop with electronic components.
    I have this one http://www.gme.cz/cz/index.php?product=751-444 5V/4,5A output connector 5/2.1mm 12$
    connector looks same, but i must use some force to plug in to router :-(

or something like:
    http://www.ges.cz/?page=index&or=sor...gcat=XK5N&of=3

sorry this shops is only in my coutry and do not ship outside!!!

my original power source isn't dead, i buy new one because my external 2.5 USB hardrive not work correctly with 2.5A with wifi on.
    Last edited by gouryella; 28-08-2009 at 10:39.
    RT-N13u dd-wrt | Toshiba 2.5" 160GB | pxe boot server

Or you could harvest a power supply from an old computer. and spend the money on a multimeter, if you don't already have it.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply
    (actually, I didn't use this guide, I only connected the green wire on the ATX connection to a black wire (gnd). You have to have some kind of load connected to the psu so start with an old hard drive and see if it spins up. The first I tried didn't accept it that way, the second one did.)

This provides more than enough current for the asus, plus you have an option of other voltages to power other devices. And also. they are much more power-efficient than those single ac/dc adapters

I did this last week, 'converted' an old pc-power supply, now running the asus on it without a problem.

I also converted some other devices which were within reach of this old pc-psu.

- computer switch, runs of 12v
    - corldess phone base unit, runs of 5v
    - ventilation system for my hobby room, runs of 12v.
    - I already mentioned the asus.

So now I have a nice collection of 4 ad/dc adapters, replaced by one effecient power supply.
    (if you don't use the adapters, cut of the connectors to connect to and from the psu and the unit you want to power.)

things I'll have to convert, but I hadn't had the time yet.

- small speaker system for 2nd computer in hobby-room, runs of 12v
    - docking-station for laptop, run of 12v

the power supply is running now for almost a week, and it is cool and quiet (temperature controlled fan inside)....and efficient. (i measure, i know)

...every house should have efficient 12v/5v lines next to 220v, instead of dozens of ac/dc adapters for all kinds of equipment....

Hth
    Last edited by raas; 29-08-2009 at 12:55.

Looking for a direct replacement

Sadly, Asus isn't helpful at all. Given the following specs of WL-500gP's power supply, a direct and inexpensive replacement is not easy to find, but may be possible.
    • Output: 5V 2.5A (according to its label)
    • DC Plug: Center +; L 10mm, OD 5mm, ID 2mm (basing on my unscientific measurement, please correct me as needed)

1. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's power supply can be used. It is almost the same as WL-500gP's, except for 5V, 2.6A. The larger amp, the better. But, not sure it's sold separately.
    2. I notice some folks here used the power adapter for D-Link routers. There are some sold on eBay. Watch out for the plug's dimensions.
    3. I personally want to get a 5V, 4A adapter (almost like gouryella's finding), with the fitting dimensions for the plug. Anything out there?

Quote Originally Posted by andify View Post
    Sadly, Asus isn't helpful at all. Given the following specs of WL-500gP's power supply, a direct and inexpensive replacement is not easy to find, but may be possible.
    • Output: 5V 2.5A (according to its label)
    • DC Plug: Center +; L 10mm, OD 5mm, ID 2mm (basing on my unscientific measurement, please correct me as needed)

1. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's power supply can be used. It is almost the same as WL-500gP's, except for 5V, 2.6A. The larger amp, the better. But, not sure it's sold separately.
    2. I notice some folks here used the power adapter for D-Link routers. There are some sold on eBay. Watch out for the plug's dimensions.
    3. I personally want to get a 5V, 4A adapter (almost like gouryella's finding), with the fitting dimensions for the plug. Anything out there?
    If your old power supply is broken, you don't use it anymore, so simply cut of the wire/plug and use this on your new power-supply, than you don't have to worry about the plug dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    If your old power supply is broken, you don't use it anymore, so simply cut of the wire/plug and use this on your new power-supply, than you don't have to worry about the plug dimensions.
    Yes, that's definitely an option.

Yet, another option, Velleman PSSMV7U may readily supply 5V 4A power to WL-500gP, albeit expensive (> $35).

You should easily be able to find an appropriate power supply on Ebay. Some come with multi plugs, one of which will probably fit the Asus. Otherwise just cut and solder your old plug

I also use an old power supply, as the previous poster (good post Raas. I'm still using your Headstart 2. Going great). Found a suitable plug in my bits bin. The Asus plugs are nothing special.

Some people I know use an 6v or 12v SLA battery on trickle charge. You can use this to step down to 5 or 9 v for all your gear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AX3022-Based-Swi...06164001r18533

I get some of my odds and ends from http://www.jaycar.com.au/printed.asp as there is a store down the road. They do mail order. Ebay from a Hong Kong supplier is probably cheaper.

You have a lot of options. Forget getting the plugpack from Asus
    Last edited by rod178; 09-09-2009 at 04:51.

Think the DC adapter for my 2.5 year old WL-500g just died too. I went to the local computer store and bought a generic switching supply that can output 2500 mA at 5 V.

It seems to work fine except when turning on, the LED on the adapter will flicker on and off, along with the LEDs on the router. Since there's no power switch on the router, I will have to plug out the power jack, wait for the DC adapter LED to hold steady, then plug it into the router.

My guess is maybe the inferior switching power supply isn't giving out enough voltage/current at the start? Anyone has this issue and solved it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast