Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish List

Wish List

Hi

As i think adding whishes to the last custom firmware thread is no good, i add a whishlist here at least for what i think could be nice.

• Syslog to Harddisk - Adding an Option to write the syslog (or Remoute) somewhere on /tmp/harddisk rather then ramdisk. If i remember right, HD gets mounted after syslog start, but maybe you see a possibility to do this oleg ?
    • VPN Support by phedny
    • Newer PWCx Driver vor Philips Cam´s High Resolution Mode
    • Option to prevent LPR and/or Jetdirekt Printing startup at boottime.

Greets
    Last edited by WlanMan; 20-04-2005 at 14:09.
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Well if you put this script in post-mount:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh  
    cat /tmp/syslog.log >> /tmp/harddisk/syslog.log
    killall syslogd  
    syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/harddisk/syslog.log -S -l 7
    This is more or less how Oleg would have to do it anyway if you don't want to loose all messages before harddisk is mounted. Only problem is that you get two " syslogd started:"-messages.. But I guess you can propably live with that. (If you want to overwrite syslog on reboot remove one > in second line.)

S.

PS: How does the syslog get rotated, by the way? Any one know?

Moved

Also, you say 'Whishlist', but I only see one wish. Where's the rest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Moved

Also, you say 'Whishlist', but I only see one wish. Where's the rest ?
    I hope others will add their wishes here.

As for syslog - use unslung syslog_ng package, it's much more powerful, than busybox syslog.

I wish there would be an admin website to config all my Unslung packages.

Oh, wait, I'm allready working on that! First release scheduled somewhere in the next 2 weeks.

WLanMan: Are you able to keep your first post upto-date with the wishes of others? That way there's a nice list in one place.
    Last edited by Styno; 06-04-2005 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    WLanMan: Are you able to keep your first post upto-date with the wishes of others? That way there's a nice list in one place.
    Sure i will, but i need some sort of minimal admin then ... what would be a good idea anyway

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Sure i will, but i need some sort of minimal admin then
    Greets
    Well, you can edit your own post -> that would be admin enough don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Sure i will, but i need some sort of minimal admin then ... what would be a good idea anyway

Greets
    Hehe... Nice one.

Hmm. Anyway, as for my wishes... err... a shoutcast server of sorts on the WL-500g! I'm not sure how useful that would be since it has to be streamed from somewhere to the server anyway, when it's pretty much just as simple to run the server on a computer, but... still...

I'm fairly happy with the WL-500g except for its questionable wireless stability (I've never had the router running longer than a few days so I don't even know for sure how stable it is--just a little while ago my Pocket PC lost connectivity and had trouble regaining it but, eh...).

Oh, there is something that would be interesting. What about that port-knocking stuff mentioned here earlier for those of us super-obsessed with security?

Then there's TTL matching... and there's upgrading the kernel to support connection tracking (useful with iptables for security) and the iptables module to go along with it.. and... Hmm. That would all be more than I could ever ask for of a router, I think.

Oh, well, I don't know very much about this at all so pardon my terminology or lack of understanding, but what about some sort of SSH/SSL tunnel port forwarding... thing.... on the router itself, to allow LAN computers to not even realize or be required to have a server thing running in order to have secure access from the outside to certain ports. If you know what I mean... if that even makes sense. I have not done my research at all and have just heard about it.

Oh yeah, and while I'm adding in unnecessary stuff to my list, I might as well also mention the MIRROR target for iptables. It might be interesting to attempt to MIRROR those "Messenger" service popups back to their source (not that I get them anymore), if that would even have any effect...

That's my Santa letter. I'd survive without any of those things, especially without a shoutcast server... and without TTL matching. Really, though, connection tracking would be nice. And there's nothing to be done about the wireless stability, of course, except keeping up with the latest ASUS GPL sources.

I'm very happy with the current status of custom firmware and its tremendous upgradability (way to go, ipkg!). Thanks, Oleg, very much for that! It's very excellent indeed. That's about all I have to blab about.
    Last edited by tomilius; 08-04-2005 at 07:55.

Oh, well, I don't know very much about this at all so pardon my terminology or lack of understanding, but what about some sort of SSH/SSL tunnel port forwarding... thing.... on the router itself, to allow LAN computers to not even realize or be required to have a server thing running in order to have secure access from the outside to certain ports. If you know what I mean... if that even makes sense. I have not done my research at all and have just heard about it.
    This works perfectly already, using dropbear and putty. I currently use this for access to web-admin, Remote Desktop on PC's in LAN and for samba, although samba access is a bit trickier then the others.

It really is quite easy. In putty configuration Connection -> SSH ->Tunnels you can set up tunneling. I.e. for access to web-admin (yes I know you can use 8080) use: Source port: 8888 (can be anything), Destination: localhost:80, or for RD i use: Source port:33389, Destination:192.160.1.102:3389

With samba i mentioned that it is a bit trickier (talking windows here by the way), as they have not allowed you to specify which port to use. So to make it work you must either turn of your local share, since you must forward through port 139, or you can use a trick described here:
    Samba over ssh without disabling file share. It works like a charm. (In short you must make an ekstra loopback address/adapter)

Anyways if you need secure access to resources on you LAN, SSH tunneling is a nice way of doing it. Although I wouldn't recomend transfering huge files using tunnelled samba!

Anyways if you want to find out more, google has the answers.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    You probably are talking about what more expensive routers have: SSH (VPN) endpoints. When your router is a VPN endpoint the LAN PC's don't know all their data is transfered over a secure tunnel. This is allready available for the WL-500g, I believe this is what you are looking for: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2066

Great!!!

Thanks a lot barsju!!!

I have been using this technique for a while for mounting my samba drive over the internet with my Ibook. But with Windows I never tried because you have to disable filesharing which is mostly impossible (at work, etc...). Thanks a lot for this link!!!

Regards,
    Rainer

Update drivers for webcams from, http://alpha.dyndns.org/ . There is support for all webcams that don't work right now.

Add as packages, dc hub, quagga support for routing (bgp)

Quote Originally Posted by barsju
    This works perfectly already, using dropbear and putty. I currently use this for access to web-admin, Remote Desktop on PC's in LAN and for samba, although samba access is a bit trickier then the others.

Thanks, barsju. I knew very little about dropbear and putty and just figured all they were used for was telnet-related stuff. I'll look into that using almighty Google (since we're talking search engines, does anyone even find M*N's search engine to be worth a poo? don't answer that).

Styno, I think barsju was a little more on target, but I'm interested in looking into VPN stuff too. Thanks for the reply. Well, err, actually... VPN is more what I was thinking of, I suppose.

Thanks to the both of you.
    Last edited by tomilius; 08-04-2005 at 15:59.

My One Wish

I know I have asked this before but I would really like to see Captive Portal and Radius Authentication functionality on the 500g. This is primarily for Hotspots. The WiFi Dog project for the WRT54G looks like a good place to start.

What I need the Router to do is incercept web requests, and redirect them to an external page on the RADIUS server (can be internal if absolutely necessary). Here a client can either login with a pre printed paper ticket (With a valid username and Password in the RADIUS Database), or purchase a username and password (Using the billing program we run for the hotspots). Once the username and password are issued, the client can enter these on the portal page and log in to access the internet. An example of the portal page we use is https://212.113.195.2:8002/Test/Portal

If anyone thinks they customise the firmware to do this my company are willing to pay for the customisation.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in this project?

Cheers,

Niall

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    Hmm. Anyway, as for my wishes... err... a shoutcast server of sorts on the WL-500g! I'm not sure how useful that would be since it has to be streamed from somewhere to the server anyway, when it's pretty much just as simple to run the server on a computer.
    Well, i startet Icecast compilation for the WL500 a while ago, but stopped because of not getting some of the libs propper working. These configure scripts are driving me mad ...

But there is a tool that can stream mp3 to the icecast without reencoding, this needs to have your mp3 libary pre-encodet or a client capable of reconfiguring his decoder on the fly as bitrates change, what the better ones should be possile to do.

If you habe some intterst in it, try to make it work, maybe you habe time and can find the problem...

Greets

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast