Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Adding 2nd antena to a WL-500g

  1. #1

    Exclamation Adding 2nd antena to a WL-500g

    Hello,

    Does anyone know if it is possible to add a 2nd antena to a WL-500g?

    (I assume that this is possible by soldering directlly on the seccond connector of the mini-pci card...)
    Has anyone tried it?
    Can it use diversity mode?
    Can we choose which antena to use?

    thanks.




    UPDATE:
    A litlle birdie told me this:
    To add a seccond external antenna to the wl500g, all that needs to be done is this: remove the C147 capacitor,
    add (solder): R55 (1M 1%) and C4 (6P2F).
    then solder a 50ohm cable into the Main connector, and a female plug of your choice on the other end. and that's it.

    (I haven't done it yet, because I don't have the parts, but I plan to do it soon.)

    PS: Do this at your own risk! If you blow up your router, don't blame me!
    Please post your results in the forum!
    Last edited by gwl; 19-02-2005 at 00:31.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,307
    WL-500g has an internal antenna and an external antenna. If, for example, you want to place an antenna on your roof just use the reverse-sna connector on the back for this one. The internal connector will cover the interiour...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    377
    Hi

    Search the Forum, there was some thread.
    Diversity is allways on, you can switch the ports manual if you want. if you have soldering skliss you can switch a capacitor and solder a seccond lucent conncetor to the minipci. Dont know any who tried this.

    Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

  4. #4

    How to add a second (external) antena to a WL500G

    How to add a second (external) antena to a WL500G:

    take a look at:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=8054#post8054
    Last edited by gwl; 19-02-2005 at 04:13.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    France...
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    WL-500g has an internal antenna and an external antenna. If, for example, you want to place an antenna on your roof just use the reverse-sna connector on the back for this one. The internal connector will cover the interiour...
    You should not do that ! This could definitely burn your radio !
    An antenna needs to be "tuned" in order to deliver the best performance (i.e the right length according to the frequency, the right impedance ...).
    Using your unit for a long time like you said could damage it....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by max2950
    You should not do that ! This could definitely burn your radio !
    An antenna needs to be "tuned" in order to deliver the best performance (i.e the right length according to the frequency, the right impedance ...).
    Using your unit for a long time like you said could damage it....
    The right impedance is ALWAYS 50ohm. The frequency is ALWAYS 2.4Ghz.
    If the antenna is well designed then there's no problem if you connect it directly or if you use a cable between the connector and the antenna.
    The only difference is that in the second case the signal get's atenuated because of the loss in the cable...
    The router WAS designed to support two antennas...
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    France...
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by gwl
    The right impedance is ALWAYS 50ohm. The frequency is ALWAYS 2.4Ghz.
    If the antenna is well designed then there's no problem if you connect it directly or if you use a cable between the connector and the antenna.
    The only difference is that in the second case the signal get's atenuated because of the loss in the cable...
    The router WAS designed to support two antennas...
    Yes i know, but if i understand him rightly he just plan to use the connector as an antenna....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by max2950
    Yes i know, but if i understand him rightly he just plan to use the connector as an antenna....
    In that case there is a potential for improving your English. Using a connector FOR an antenna isn't the same as using it AS one.

    I'm doing the same - that is having a 50 Ohm cable leading onto my roof with a directional antenna there and do not have any bad conscience about it.

    The only thing I'd consider is a lightning protection - in case its attenuation won't be too high.

Similar Threads

  1. WL300g Adding USB port possible?
    By miraculix in forum WL-300g Q&A
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-05-2005, 07:57
  2. Configuration Problem with adding WL-138g
    By Lulu in forum WL-500g Q&A
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-05-2005, 00:40
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 21:28
  4. Adding other time zones
    By ropmip in forum WL-500g Custom Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-05-2004, 23:22

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •