Thread: DNS problem

DNS problem

hi!
    my wl-500w won't let any computers on the network reach any address on the Internet unless I specify provider DNS manually in network preferences.

The router reads the DNS correctly from the modem, but it will not pass the mto the clients, is there any way to fix that?
    I am running firmware version 2.0.0.6, and connect to the Internet via WIMAX bridge

In a default scenario the router becomes the DNS server itself.
    You should check if DNS set to automatic, then the clients gets' it's address (the router's IP address as DNS server)

You should also check if the router itself can or cannot resolve a hostname. Like telnet/ssh to the router and 'ping google.com'.

router works fine, when i type the DNS in manually it works with wireless clients, it also recognizes the IPs of DNS correctly

however on windows wired clients i still have to type the dns in connection preferences, which is really bugging me

I tried leaving the DNS field blank, so that the router would choose the DNS automatically, but it did not work

problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by swistak View Post
    router works fine, when i type the DNS in manually it works with wireless clients, it also recognizes the IPs of DNS correctly

however on windows wired clients i still have to type the dns in connection preferences, which is really bugging me

I tried leaving the DNS field blank, so that the router would choose the DNS automatically, but it did not work
    >> I've exactly the same problem with my WL-500gP V2 running on latest available FW: with static provider DNS on clients it works fine, using dyn. DNS it's not forwarded to the clients. I even claimed warranty and got a new one. Nevertheless the problem continues ...

Have you meanwhile got any hints or help?

same here as well. bought it 1.5yr ago, exchange it the next day but still got same problem. 6 mth ago my router dead (must be bad capacitor problem), they exchange it to newer 5v one but still got same problem. I end up using opendns and put it manually in router. asus tech support could not solved it.

Quote Originally Posted by hanugro View Post
    same here as well. bought it 1.5yr ago, exchange it the next day but still got same problem. 6 mth ago my router dead (must be bad capacitor problem), they exchange it to newer 5v one but still got same problem. I end up using opendns and put it manually in router. asus tech support could not solved it.
    Yes I have had similar problems.
    These problems didn't only occur with my router running oleg, but also on linux distros like ubuntu... it would take over 30 seconds to resolve an adress...
    I'm also on opendns now, and now everything works fine

the modem is quite old as well since the ISP won't replace it nor I'm able to replace it (it's a special one), so I'm stuck with it

Do you think it is because of the way the older modem report the DNS address to the router? It seems strange that I tried on 3 different WL-500W and all of them can't resolve DNS. My modem is old DOCSIS 1 cable modem (Linksys). I have used it since 5 years ago. It is bad if Oleg or DD-WRT also has this problem since I am thinking of using one of them to solve this. Will buying new modem solve this? But my old 3com router work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hanugro View Post
    Do you think it is because of the way the older modem report the DNS address to the router? It seems strange that I tried on 3 different WL-500W and all of them can't resolve DNS. My modem is old DOCSIS 1 cable modem (Linksys). I have used it since 5 years ago. It is bad if Oleg or DD-WRT also has this problem since I am thinking of using one of them to solve this. Will buying new modem solve this? But my old 3com router work fine.
    I don't know exactly
    my modem uses a openrg sdk http://www.jungo.com/openrg/pr_openrg.html
    basicly all normal linux routers (like oleg or dd-wrt) use dnsmasq since it is small and fast.
    rather than just saying it's a firmware problem, I think you could say its a dnsmasq problem. perhaps the modem doesn't use the correct dns specification... I didn't investigate it that much, but I've reported the problem tho

I am happy to report that I finally dump Asus firmware and using latest Oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-d-r1445 and DNS works normally.

congratulation