Thread: 12v Power

Exclamation 12v Power

I am aware that the WL-500W comes with the following power supply

DC output: 5V with max. 2.5A~3A current

However i intend to connect this router via power over Ethernet.

I have been successfully doing this with WRT-54GL for some time now.

The problem is i would like to continue using the same power supplies that have currently been supplying 2 WRT-54GL via the ethernet cable but supply 1 WRT-54GL and a WL-500W.

I am currently using a 12V 1A current power adapter.

Does anyone have experience with plugging this or any other asus router into a 12V supply?

My gut instinct is that it will work, but its a lot of money if it doesn't!

uhm... when the required is 5V and you put 12 on it... doesn't sound like that is going to last long
    I wouldn't recommend doing that, or you must have a very long UTP cable so the voltage becomes lower

If you fed 12V into the 5V input on the router, you would probably instantly destroy some components on the circuit board. Therefore, I recommend not trying that.

You could use a 12V to 5V converter at the router. For example, there are many car chargers which output regulated 5V.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamlayers View Post
    If you fed 12V into the 5V input on the router, you would probably instantly destroy some components on the circuit board. Therefore, I recommend not trying that.

You could use a 12V to 5V converter at the router. For example, there are many car chargers which output regulated 5V.
    I know that the last post is in 2009.
    However, maybe somebody is interrested in this. I accidently put the adaptor for my ext hdd into WL500W. 12V instead of 5V.
    And yes, it's not working any more. The leds for Lan 1-4 are on, but it's dead.