Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unslung/WL500g packages available for Oleg's firmware

anybody already compiled the affix bluetooth stack?
    Athlon XP 2200+ runnig on ECS K7S5A
    512 MB DDR
    160 GB Samsung
    Ati Radeon 9500
    System running under Yoper.v2
    Router: WL500g

chillispot ipkg

Can anyone let me know how to install an ipkg file on the WL500g running the latest firmware? The command I am using ipkg install chillispot_1.0RC3-1_mipsel.ipk does not seem to work when I try to install the chillispot program in the root dir. Please let me know if you can help.

Niall

Is it a chillispot ipkg for the wl500g or for openwrt on the wrt54g?

The two are not compatible. Whilst the binary may well work, ipk's for the wrt54g expect a completely different root filesystem layout.

If you have the source package.mk file from openwrt, then it is very easy to convert this to an Unslung package (as the Unslung build system was derived from the OpenWRT system).

-- Rod

chillispot ipkg

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the advice. It is indeed for the WRT54G. I am a real amateur when it comes to this hacking so please forgive any stupid questions. Are the instructions for adapting the WRT files in the new Unslung repository?

Cheers,

Niall

Quote Originally Posted by Niall
    Are the instructions for adapting the WRT files in the new Unslung repository?
    No, there are no instructions. You need to know a little bit about package development to adapt the files. See make/template.mk in the Unslung source code repository, and study the other packages that are there. Perhaps examine the differences between the wrt54g .mk file and the Unslung .mk file for a package which is in common between the two repositories.

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Jean-Fabrice, could you please add your thttpd+php package to the unslung? ;-)
    thttpdphp ipk has been added to unslung feed : http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/

Does not support a lot of extensions as I get trouble compiling some unslung available (and php needed) libs.
    Still looking for more extension support. help is appreciated (libxml2 would be great).

ipkg

Thanks Rod,

I will check it out today. I will post the adapted files if I succeed as I think it would be a great addition.

Cheers,

Niall

There's now an ipkg installation HOWTO available on the WebTools website: http://webtools.wl500g.info/wiki/dok...owtoipkgonasus

Perhaps we need to copy/paste the info into an HOWTO on this forum as well...
    Last edited by Styno; 14-04-2005 at 18:47.

fecthmail

Hi,

I've seen that there were a fetchmail & xmail package.... does it mean that it should work on the wl500g ???? !

I'm really interested ... !

Oldudu

Quote Originally Posted by Niall
    Thanks Rod,

I will check it out today. I will post the adapted files if I succeed as I think it would be a great addition.
    Please do. Let me know when you've got a .mk file ready, and I will grant you write access to the Unslung CVS repository.

Read the pages at
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unsl...ckageToUnslung
    for the instructions on how to contribute a new package.

-- Rod

Hmm. I try to install ncurses but my router reboots. I'm guessing I run out of memory. I have a USB stick, but don't boot from it. I have installed ipkg using the loop-filesystem trick (a file on my FAT usb stick).

My question is should I have:
    dest root /
    in my ipkg.conf? Does this mean that I try to download to root, and that is why I run out of memory? Should it be /tmp/harddisk/ or /opt/ ? Or is ncurses just to big for me to install, so that I need to boot from USB to make it work?

S.

All Unslung packages are designed to install everything under /opt, so "dest root /" is correct.

You might want to consider creating a swap file if you are running out of memory.

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    You might want to consider creating a swap file if you are running out of memory.
    I use a (non rootfs) setup with additional swap memory which works fine (no short of memory) from an USB harddisk, so that would be a good solution. However I don't think that using a Flash USB drive is suitable for swapmemory because of the extensive writes performed on a swapfile and the limited write cycles sustained by Flash memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    However I don't think that using a Flash USB drive is suitable for swapmemory because of the extensive writes performed on a swapfile and the limited write cycles sustained by Flash memory.
    Agreed. But it might be a good temporary solution to be able to install a large package. Then you turn it off again (assuming the package fits in memory when it is running).

-- Rod

So how would I go about setting up a swapfile and the removing it again on a FAT drive? Does it matter that it is FAT? If it doesn't I guess I can find instructions on the forum..

S.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast