Hi All.

I've had the wl500g (non deluxe) router for quite some time but only recently discovered the capabilites with olegs firmware. After upgrading to the latest compatible firmware from oleg Ive messed around ALOT with smb and nfs. Eventually it all works, but my problem is the performance.

with smb, i could reach 1 MByte/sec at peaks and an average og 5-800 KB/s with NFS It even reaches 2 MBytes /sec at peaks but the connection acording to OS X leopard acitivity monitor is VERY spiky as in reach peak, then zero, then peak then zero all within 1 second. so the average speed is probably the same as with smb.

now since this is both the case with wired network and wireless It cant be a connection issue.

I partitioned the USB drive to EXT3 thinking that would help but with no real change. Sе my questions are these:

Why is the transfer so spiky when using NFS?
why are both NFS and SMB so much slower than writing to any other network drive connected to a windows machine? Could it be the router is using USB version 1.1 ?

If I want performance file server, should I just buy a new router all together ?