Thread: Linux guru please help restore my hdd !!

Linux guru please help restore my hdd !!

hi ,Recently i took my 700ge hdd plug into a usb drive and try to access files from my winxp laptop . i hv been reading the ''Open Sesame thread'' , i got some questions hope anyone can help me !! (im running the knoppix live cd atm and i never use Linux b4 )

1) i plug in my usb drive(700ge hard drive ) it wont show on my desktop , i test the usb port with my usb pen drive no ploblem . detect the pen drive in a minute but not the usb drive . ? how to let the linux os show the partition file ....etc ?

2) how to restore the firmware into the hdd ? when i put my hdd back into the asus 700ge it wont show the hdd and cannot access 192.168.1.1 . my default gateway will start 94.56.xx.x ? strange number !! i still can access the internet but cannot accesss the setup page .

many thk

1) After you plug in the usb drive, wait a few seconds and type dmesg on the commandline in Knoppix. You'll see something mentioned about your drive, say for example that it is /dev/sda1. Use the mkdir and mount commands to access the files:
    mkdir /mnt/usbdisk
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdisk
    ls /mnt/usbdisk
    etc.

2) looks like it's in Bridge mode in stead of Gateway/Router mode.