Thread: WAN port & cable modem setup

WAN port dead

If I plug anything into the WAN port the light comes on but the web interface says "media disconnected".

This is with patch and crossover cables. What's going on?

Yet it's ok in Access point mode

----

(( I believe I need to do this to use bandwidth management with my cable modem.

How do I set up the router to work with a cable modem? I need traffic to be going through the router and not straight to the cable modem.

No wireless setup is involved and I've found I have to use the cable modem DHCP server in order to connect to the internet. Setting IPs like 192.168.1.10 on the computer side will not work, I have to use the modems DHCP server and it assigns IPs like 80.32.100.3. ))
    Last edited by jago25_98; 20-03-2005 at 17:54.

I can ping statically! So one step closer.

Because of this I'm now trying to get dhcpc to obtain an IP because this seems essential:

I have to use the cable modem DHCP server in order to connect to the internet. Setting IPs like 192.168.1.10 on the computer side will not work, I have to use the modems DHCP server and it assigns IPs like 80.32.100.3
    I have managed to get a lease for eth1 (WAN) only once successfully but this was using a dhcpd server running on my main computer and not the cable modem. I was unable to duplicate this success though, even straight afterwards.

In terms of dynamic assigned IPs I'm stuck for what to try next - this is with 1.9.3.6 firmware and I have tried uploading and using other udhcpc binaries too.

What I really need is too see how someone else has successfully setup a cable modem and WL500G.

I'm not following you at all. You have an cable modem and an WL-500g which you want to run in AP mode, right? Well that configuration must be working with hundreds (if not thousands) of people without all the problems you are strugling with...

Try this:
    - Reset your router to defaults
    - Follow your manual on howto setup the WL-500g in AP mode

I've tried alot harder than that. I believe I have made the issue of router vs AP mode irelevent by doing having by hand for testing.

It seems udhcpc is failing to get an IP from the cable modem.

To simplify things for testing I have killed all processes on the router I can to make sure the web interface stuff doesn't interfere with your testing.

Bridges are set manually using brctl and setting IPs manually with ifconfig and udhcp.
    By doing this I can be sure that the web interface is not causing a problem.

The end result is a very basic system:

Code:
    [admin@router root]$ ps
      PID  Uid     VmSize Stat Command
        1 admin       712 S   /sbin/init 
        2 admin           SW  [keventd]
        3 admin           RWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
        4 admin           SW  [kswapd]
        5 admin           SW  [bdflush]
        6 admin           SW  [kupdated]
        7 admin           SW  [mtdblockd]
       41 admin       312 S   telnetd 
       60 admin           SW  [khubd]
      401 admin       524 S   -sh 
      421 admin       368 R   ps 
    [admin@router root]$
    Then bridge all interfaces together so everything can talk to everything for testing. Result:

Code:
    [admin@router root]$ brctl showbr br0
    br0
     bridge id              8000.000ea6cee237
     designated root        8000.000ea6cee237
     root port                 0                    path cost                  0
     max age                  20.00                 bridge max age            20.00
     hello time                2.00                 bridge hello time          2.00
     forward delay             0.00                 bridge forward delay       0.00
     ageing time              42.30                 gc interval                4.00
     hello timer               1.07                 tcn timer                  0.00
     topology change timer     2.19                 gc timer                   3.07
     flags                  TOPOLOGY_CHANGE TOPOLOGY_CHANGE_DETECTED 

eth0 (1)
     port id                8001                    state                   forwarding
     designated root        8000.000ea6cee237       path cost                100
     designated bridge      8000.000ea6cee237       message age timer          0.00
     designated port        8001                    forward delay timer        0.00
     designated cost           0                    hold timer                 0.00
     flags                  

eth2 (2)
     port id                8002                    state                   forwarding
     designated port        8002                    forward delay timer        0.00
     flags                  

eth1 (3)
     port id                8003                    state                   forwarding
     designated port        8003                    forward delay timer        0.00
     flags                  

[admin@router root]$
    Then give eth1 an IP:
    Code:
    [admin@router root]$ ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.3
    (you'll notice I'm using 192.168.100.x because this is the same subnet as the cable modem so we're working on the same network)

and test that it can ping the cable modem, making there is a crossover cable between the WAN port on the router and the ethernet port on the cable modem:

Code:
    [admin@router root]$ ping 192.168.100.1 
    64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.90 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.91 ms
    We are then free to try getting an IP from the cable modem using udhcpc:

Code:
    [admin@router root]$ udhcpc -i eth1  -s /bin/true 
    udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
    Sending discover...
    Sending discover...
    -> but this is unsuccessful. This is unexpected because when the cable modem is connected to the cable modem directly it gets an IP. I've even tried running my own dhcpd server on my computer. It was successful once with this setup but I've been unable to duplicate that success.

In terms of the whole network topology looks like this:

Code:
    Computer = 192.168.100.20
    Cable modem ethernet interface = 192.168.100.1
    Cable modem internet interface = 82.32.x.x
    WL500G Router br0 (eth0, switch) = 192.168.100.2
    WL500G Router eth1 (WAN) = 192.168.100.3
    (because we're only bridging and not using iptables we don't need to mess with subnets)

Hmmz...

Can't it be that your ISP collects the mac addresses it has handed a dynamic address to?

I reckon if you hook your pc up to the cable modem it will work flawlessly.

My ISP gives you the opportunity to register several mac addresses, could be yours only allows you one, and that one probably be your desktops mac address.

If you hook your asus up to the cable modem, it ought to assign your ip address to the mac address of your asus. That one will be different than the one your ISP knows.

Ask your ISP if this is the case?

Yes, it does work when the computer is connected directly to the cable modem. However, it works with different MAC addresses because I've used 2 different ethernet cards.

I can change MAC addresses if need be but I've found the only one that matters is the `external` cable modem MAC; this is the one registered with the ISP.

So I'm sure it's not MACs.

Thanks though - good thinking!

And if you hook yr modem up to your pc directly, let it have an ip address, then do a release of the ip address. Then disconnect the pc, reconnect your asus, and let the asus pull a dhcp lease from the modem?

When I had a cable modem, I could not get a dhcp lease on a different mac address before the last one got released (or was expired). Usually expiration takes a long time.