Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.7.5.6

Firmware v1.7.5.6

Firmware for the WL-500g can be found here: ftp://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless..._WL500g_en.zip

Changelog: (OFFICIAL confirmed by Asus)

1. Add: Tx Power adjustment.(Only for power user)
    2. Add: "Tx Only" for Idle Disconnect Time of PPPoE in seconds
    3. Add: PPPoE connection status in detail
    4. Add: "Protocol Number" in Virtual Server(for example GRE, OTHER 47, for PPTP server in LAN)
    5. Add: DHCP Server that allows fixed MAC address
    6. Add: "ZoneEdit" for DDNS
    7. Add: WAN Status report when wan connection is disconnected
    8. Add: Redirect to Quick Setup when first time access
    9. Add: Allow Filter rules into DMZ(ok)
    10. Add: Enable NAT Firewall when Internet Firewall is enabled.
    11. Fix: DDNS bug when dhcp release/renew is performed.(DDNS abuse)
    12. Fix: Printer support for HP1210 psc
    13. Fix: PPTP server behind WL500g/b passthrough

--- UPDATE ---
    Oleg discovered that it seems there was an error in the firmware, some users using PPTP could not connect anymore

NON OFFICIAL fixed firmware can be downloaded here:
    http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g...0g_en_pptp.zip

USE THIS FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Last edited by Antiloop; 26-03-2004 at 02:50.

Hi

I think Asus staff read this forum. And uses the info in it to upgrade their firmware. eheheheh

Did anyone tried uPnP with this firmware ? is it better? (I didn't have the chance to test it yet)

Great job everyone.
    Nuno

Forgot to menition - added zonedit.com dyndns service.

Originally posted by njs
    Hi

I think Asus staff read this forum. And uses the info in it to upgrade their firmware. eheheheh

Did anyone tried uPnP with this firmware ? is it better? (I didn't have the chance to test it yet)

Great job everyone.
    Nuno
    they are aware of the existense of this forum. I don't know if they use it for improvements.

just received official firmware changelog from asus, added to first message.

Is telnet implemented in this version?

Originally posted by bramfm
    Is telnet implemented in this version?
    not sure if it's present, but either way it is NOT running

With this new firmware I wasn't able to connect with internet. With the old one (1.6.5.3 the one I am using now) it works fine. I am using ADSL with PPTP. Does anyone have a clue, why it isn't working? When I connected to the router I got the message that I wasn't connected to the internet... but the thing didn't give me a reason...

I hope you can help. I would like to use the new firmware because it can stealth all my ports.

Has anyone been able to unpack and repack the new firmware? I suspect a change in the Asus header (or is it trailer...). What used to work with the old firmware: unpack/repack/upload no longer works with the new.

Thanks.

There is a serious error in the ASUS firmware - they forgot to assing an IP address to eth1 in the PPTP mode, so it does not work. They've commented out one line of code, which is doing that. If you need this I could repack the original firmware with this only change, but I think ASUS will release something like 1.7.5.7 in the several days.

Originally posted by RCR
    Has anyone been able to unpack and repack the new firmware?
    Answering my own question...

BUILD_DIR=build
    TRX=$HOME/router/linksys/WRT54G/release/tools/trx

sudo /usr/sbin/mkcramfs $BUILD_DIR $BUILD_DIR.cramfs

rootfs_size=`stat -c "%s" rootfs`
    build_cramfs_size=`stat -c "%s" build.cramfs`
    trailer_size=`stat -c "%s" trailer`
    dif=$(($rootfs_size-$build_cramfs_size))
    pad_size=$(($dif - $trailer_size))

dd if=/dev/zero of=pad bs=1 count=$pad_size 2> /dev/null

cat $BUILD_DIR.cramfs pad trailer > $BUILD_DIR-and-trailer
    $TRX -o firmware.trx kernel.gz $BUILD_DIR-and-trailer

This assumes you've extracted the 76-byte ttrailer from the end of the Asus compressed root ("rootfs") and put it in a file called "trailer".

This is kind of crude - it pads your new root system (in the build directory) so when you add the trailer the combined file is as big as the original.

It doesn't work with the older firmware.

Originally posted by Oleg
    There is a serious error in the ASUS firmware - they forgot to assing an IP address to eth1 in the PPTP mode, so it does not work. They've commented out one line of code, which is doing that. If you need this I could repack the original firmware with this only change, but I think ASUS will release something like 1.7.5.7 in the several days.
    If you could do that, I would be very happy. My PPTP connection doesn't work with the new firmware and maybe this is the problem...

Originally posted by Oleg
    If you could do that, I would be very happy. My PPTP connection doesn't work with the new firmware and maybe this is the problem...

Is it safe for the router to use the Tx Power adjustment, can it get damage by oveheating? How far up can I go (I have the router away from people), is it 84 mW? Would I get improvement in range?

Originally posted by RCR
    Answering my own question...
    Just a suggestion. I'm recommending you to learn how my Makefiles do all the required packing. Trailer itself is 64 bytes, but they should be the last 64 bytes of firmware, taking in account, what firmwares are always 4096 bytes aligned.
    Also I'm attaching the pack script which I've used in early stage of making the firmwares. It's slightly outdated (1.6.5.3 versioned firmware, but could be easly changed).

Regards,
    Oleg.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guys, updated firmware (with pptp fix only) is available at http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wg01070506_WL500g_en_pptp.zip
    consider it as experimental. The change itself was the removing comment sign (#) in the /init/rc.wan part related to pptp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast