Thread: Everything working for a year and suddently the HD doesn't mount

Unhappy Everything working for a year and suddently the HD doesn't mount

Hello,
    Well something weird happened and I'm looking for advices. My setup is a WL500gp, WD 400GB and Wengi's tutorial (followed at the letter).
    I have been using this for a year, my torrents are downloaded directly to the HD, the drive is accessible from Windows, I have a ftp server running and an http server.
    Yesterday, I wanted to unzip a torrent file and during the process Samba crashed. I tried to reboot the router (connected on ssh) but something was stopping it from rebooting. I unplugged the router and plugged it back. Since, it's like my data partition (398GB) is gone. Windows doesn't see it, ftp server is not running. In command line, I can access /tmp/harddisk but there is only one folder there, transmission. The rest is gone. I had 300GB of data in there....

To see if the problem was a mount related issue, I connected the HD to another machine running Ubuntu. Ubuntu can see the HD, the 3 partitions, it can open the /opt but can't open the data partition. I get the following error:

Cannot mount volume
    mount:wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. in some cases useful info is found in syslog -try dmesg|tail or so

What should I do? I don't think the disk could have been wiped out clean, maybe there is something wrong and it cannot mount... I just hope it's not a HD failure... :-(

The only thing that matters to me at this stage is to recover as much data as possible. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks,
    Yann

Quote Originally Posted by bibi-phoque View Post
    The only thing that matters to me at this stage is to recover as much data as possible. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?
    i am using this geek's 256KB software to backup partitions (yes u can backup EXT3 in win), better use some linux backup tool like dd (but i am windowsman)
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/down.htm
    after backup all partition except swap, from ubuntu run e2fsck -f -p /dev/*** for all partitions you have.
    Last edited by gouryella; 17-04-2009 at 18:32.
    RT-N13u dd-wrt | Toshiba 2.5" 160GB | pxe boot server

thanks

thanks for the tips, I didnt know I could backup an ext3 partition under windows. I definitly have to try this software once I find another HD big enough to store the backup.
    Regarding e2fsck -f -p /dev/*** , is there a chance that this would erase data? Also, can this be run from the asus instead of ubuntu?

Cheers,
    Yann

Quote Originally Posted by bibi-phoque View Post
    thanks for the tips, I didnt know I could backup an ext3 partition under windows. I definitly have to try this software once I find another HD big enough to store the backup.
    Regarding e2fsck -f -p /dev/*** , is there a chance that this would erase data? Also, can this be run from the asus instead of ubuntu?

Cheers,
    Yann
    it can be run inside of asus(but -p may be false), kill all running aplications, umount drive by
    Code:
    pre-shutdown
    umount /opt
    umount /tmp/harddisk
    e2fsck -f  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part (device by fdisk -l)
    answer (y) for repair
    yes possible loose some data, not erase, only repair filesystem like scandisk or chkdsk!
    Last edited by gouryella; 18-04-2009 at 15:34.

Thanks!
    Will give this a try when I come back home tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Yann

hum...it doesn't look good. Here is what I'm getting with this command:

e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
    Block bitmap for group 640 is not in group. (block 265269)
    Relocate<y>? y
    yes

Inode bitmap for group 640 is not in group. (block 268789)
    Relocate<y>? yes

Inode table for group 640 is not in group. (block 269925)
    WARNING: SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE.
    Relocate<y>?

I pressed yes all the way, but even after rebooting my files are not there...I'm loosing hope... What else could I try?

i know good software for recovering files, partitions, etc: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk but it is running in command line and you must know what are you dooing.

backup is your salvation

Smile it worked!

Well thanks, I think I got most of my data back. For some reason, doing to pre-shutdown script was stopping stuff that shouldn't be stopped, because e2fsck would just die with a "no response from sender" message. Instead, I just unmounted /opt, and stopped most applications.
    Running e2fsk, I pressed [Enter] for a very long time and once complete I rebooted. I can see most of my files now, ftp server and web server are up and running. Transmission doesn't start at reboot but this is a detail. I'm glad I got my stuff back!

Thanks a million!

Yann