Thread: WL-500GP v1 in UK?

WL-500GP v1 in UK?

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm currently running Tomato firmware on a Buffalo WHR-G54S, but looking to get an Asus WL-500GP to try a variety of different firmwares.

From everything I've read, the v1 version is better than the v2 and the one to get - faster and with more-flexible-option of wireless mini-pci card - am I right in thinking this?

However despite searching I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy it in the UK. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of one... in the UK?

Many thanks in advance....

PS - Apologies in advance if such an email isn't permitted, it's a genuine question though.

wl500gpv1 is not manufactured for certain time. So, if you really want it, may be search on ebay. Otherwise, you may look for wl500w. It is virtually the same wl500gpv1, but has wifi-n controller, while costs ~10E more.

Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    Hi,

From everything I've read, the v1 version is better than the v2 and the one to get - faster and with more-flexible-option of wireless mini-pci card - am I right in thinking this?

The reason that I bought a WL500W was because at the time the v1 was not available AND the v2 was not yet suppported by third party firmware. However, I believe that the v2 is now fully supported.

The only way you will now get a v1 is probably second hand, ebay etc.

My only issue with the WL500W is that it does not have removeable antenna. Other than that, a nice box to load Olegs very stable firmware.

Question: Is the v1 actually a better unit than the v2? Why?

Thanks all... seems like perhaps the WL-500W is the better choice, also easier to get. If apart from the N radio it is identical to the WL-500GPv1, does that mean it has the same firmware compatibility as that model (i.e. mode compatible than the v2)?