Thread: New firmware at Asus site

Wink New firmware at Asus site

Just arrived, dated Mar. 23:

ftp://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless..._WL500g_en.zip

This has the iptables state module. A quick recursive diff of the unpacked root file systems give about 3700 lines of output, only one Busybox binary. I haven't loaded it on the router yet to see if there are any visible changes.

Yes, seems they added most of the features needed - static dhcp, eth interface configuration for speed/duplex, radio twpwr, etc.
    Also, there is now built-in backdoor to the router - it's checking for
    /mnt/usbfs/user-start (i.e. user-start on the usb drive) and start's if one found.
    Also they've have used latest broadcom kernel sources (known as wrt54/wap54 v2) and recompiled iptables to 1.2.7a, second busybox was removed.

Oleg: thanx for all the info, but what does it mean for a n00b like me? I've just purchased the router, should I install this new driver or the customized one? I have a little knowledge of Unix, Linux, telnet, Putty etc.

Another question: how about the security? Did it improve?
    Last edited by john37; 23-03-2004 at 09:55.

Originally posted by Oleg
    Yes, seems they added most of the features needed - static dhcp, eth interface configuration for speed/duplex, radio twpwr, etc.
    Also, there is now built-in backdoor to the router - it's checking for
    /mnt/usbfs/user-start (i.e. user-start on the usb drive) and start's if one found.
    Also they've have used latest broadcom kernel sources (known as wrt54/wap54 v2) and recompiled iptables to 1.2.7a, second busybox was removed.
    sounds interesting!, did not expect this from asus to add things like the user-start.
    normally they sound like they are not even willing to improve firmware and stuff.. now they just release this firmware with (strange) improvements

is it legal to add things like radio txpwr ?
    or is this just a user matter, user not asus will be in violation if it uses too much power..

Some of the impovements is really strange - multiple pppoe connection support - who needs this? Internal busybox version downgraded - they still can't build insmod??? Iptables not stripped, eats extra 150k, seems they've "hand-made" firmware. References to wl600g, unused scripts, executables and so on. Still mix of kernel modules from 2.4.5 and 2.4.20. I'm wonder how this still works...
    As for tx power - this is on the advanced wireless settings - so it's legal for user, but illegal for Asus to allow this changes by end user (they're violating FCC & CE rules).
    If someone from ASUS reads this message - please ask your guys to create "right" firmware sources for ASUS, because the firmware becomes more and more unmanagable. Compare this firmware with Linksys sources and you will see the difference. It's like a nightmare.
    Also, just a thought why ASUS does not release the sources - they does not have them! The guy, who makes them firmwares do that by "hands". And this is really frustarting.
    Last edited by Oleg; 23-03-2004 at 10:50.

Originally posted by john37
    Oleg: thanx for all the info, but what does it mean for a n00b like me? I've just purchased the router, should I install this new driver or the customized one? I have a little knowledge of Unix, Linux, telnet, Putty etc.

Another question: how about the security? Did it improve?
    For the regular users I'm suggesting use of original firmwares. Others can do whatever they need - use old custom firmware or wait for the new one.

I'll stick with my approach of branching to the USB-resident init file ("functions" in Asus-speak) - their "user start" happens down in the FTP server startup script after a bunch of other setup work has already been done.