Thread: Oleg's vs DD-WRT v23 SP2 vs OpenWRT

Oleg's vs DD-WRT v23 SP2 vs OpenWRT

For home use, who "wins" on WL500gP - Oleg's firmware, DD-WRT v23 SP2 or OpenWRT?
    Please consider the following:
    • ease of installation (automatic vs lots of manual settings)
    • stability (less chance to brick the router)
    • QoS (traffic prioritization and bandwidth allocation)
    • external storage
    • bit-torrent capabilities
    • etc.

2. Although I didn't use DD-WRT or OpenWRT, I did some research work before I installed Oleg.

Primary reason: Oleg fixed the bug in the 'sudden death' of the wl500G router, WRT hasn't as far as I know.

Second: Oleg had so many tutorials, that installing things isn't a pain in the ass anymore. Everything is avalible, although you need some time to get familiar (like me) with the linux surrounding.

Well, it just depends on what you want to do with your router. All of the FW's share the same basic functionalities.

Currently I'm using Olegs Firmware, since it works out of the box, has some optional Packages available and a decent web interface to do the initial setup

The Asus FW isn't that bad either, in my opinion. It exactly does, what it is supposed to do.

I didn't try OpenWRT and DD-WRT for now, just because I have no need for their features. OpenWRT has a lot of Packages to offer, DD-WRT one of the best web interfaces (well, I think so).

ease of installation:
    Asus, Oleg and DD-WRT shold be ready to be installed via webinterface and do have webinterfaces to further so the setup.

stability:
    dunno, but I think Oleg puts the most effort into that one.

QoS:
    Afaik DD-WRT because of a nice webinterface, but if you know tc well enough, you can set it per shell in every FW the same, since it boils down to the linux kernel features. (yepp, even the Asus FW does have a shell)

Externel Storage:
    Asus and Oleg share the most features, OpenWRT should also be able to use it, DD-WRT has so far NO USB support! (last time I checked, please correct me if I'm wrong).

bittorrent:
    I do use enhanced-ctorrent + screen from the unslung packages. It works well enough. Asus FW uses an old ctorrent, which is banned by some prominent trackers, but otherwise... you do have a (buggy) GUI to control everything. Open-WRT should have enh-ctorrent also, DD-WRT w/o USB and therefore storage is... uhm...

All in all, Olegs FW fits my needs perfectly, although I would wish an updated package repository (a working ntop would be very nice *g*). But this isn't a manko of the FW itself, but the users lazyness... tools to build packages theirselfs are available.

Im considering installing olegs firmware as Im pretty fed up with the asus firmware.

I need these features:

- wlan access point
    - printer server (HP Deskjet 5940)
    - ftp/http/torrent (and maybe sftp) download

and stability! Asus firmware seems to reset settings randomly when save&restart + it often crashes when turning on the usb-printer. These aren't such big problems, biggest problems is the crappy torrent download and crappy download master (also for http/ftp)

does olegs firmware use the whole 32 megs by default or do I need to use the vram commands told in the tutorial? (I have wl500g Premium) Can I use fat32 partition on my hdd, or do I have to make a full backup and partition&format using ext3?

A little too long post for only two questions, but I wanted to let people know how this router (or access point) works for me I really don't need any firewall/QoS features, as I have those in my VPN firewall. I only use this as downloader, AP & printer server, but Im not happy with original firmware from asus (even after updating to latest from their site)

Edit: btw. what is the correct firmware for wl500gp? Is that WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre7.trx the latest firmware? Or where should I look at?
    Last edited by kvi; 07-10-2006 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by citro View Post
    For home use, who "wins" on WL500gP - Oleg's firmware, DD-WRT v23 SP2 or OpenWRT?
    Please consider the following:
    • ease of installation (automatic vs lots of manual settings)
    • stability (less chance to brick the router)
    • QoS (traffic prioritization and bandwidth allocation)
    • external storage
    • bit-torrent capabilities
    • etc.
    I thought all these were standard features of the Asus fw.
    Perhaps QoS isnt, (but im not 100% sure)

Can WRTbwlog be applied to the Asus or Oleg's fw? Or is there something similar already?

Thanks
    Last edited by GLO; 26-12-2006 at 04:51.

free-WRT vs DD-WRT

Hi folks,

I vbought an ASUS WL500g Premium, cause i want to use open VPN to secure my WLAN that' s Hardware doesn't support WPA2. I flashed the Router with DD-WRT first then I tried free-WRT. It wotrks fine but I cannot route packages to the internet. So I changed the rules in iptables that way that I copied the script
    as described in trunk/files/firewall.conf but no success.

Maybe one of you have an Idea to fix the problem. Apart from that the ASUS is pretty fine machine that I can recommend.

Regards

hcx

Bring up an old dead discussion

So people.
    This discussion started few years back but is still valid.
    So what are our thoughts about this comparison now?