Thread: Loading probs with websites - MTU issue

Loading probs with websites - MTU issue

hi all,

if you have lags when loading sites or when some sites never load in the webbrowser and you have a DESKTOP FIREWALL installed then this might be a solution:

here is what i did to solve the probs: just open the regedit program (do this by pressing START - COMMAND - regedit).
    then search the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\[adapterid]

adapter id is a very long unreadable string like this --> {DEA96A6F-43A6-479C-9F04-6B9DAXX699F}
    there should be several of these entries. choose the one which is showing your network settings at the right window pane. you can identify the 'right entry' by looking at the value DhcpIPAddress which hast to correspond with your own ip (check this by clicking START - COMMAND - cmd - ipconfig)
    all other entries just show 0.0.0.0 as ip or the value does not exist - only one shows your ip correctly.
    found

then add a DWORD-Value, name it MTU and assign the value hex 5d4 (that's 1492 in dec).

reboot and test again.
    for me it worked out probably.

the firewalls affected by that are:
    kerio in any version
    outpost (only tested the last release downloadable at augnitum)

hth
    alex (modnet25)
    Last edited by modnet25; 25-03-2005 at 13:02.

Another Info

hi all,

another info on this can be found at the microsoft TECHNET
    Path Maximum Transmission Unit (PMTU) Black Hole-Router

@oleg and antiloop: might this be THE explanation for the problem?
    anyway, it explains why some of us have the problem without a desktop firewall.
    please check the article carefully :-) thanks

nice weekend all

Could this be related?

I'm having problems with random sites not responding every now and then and working fine after a retry. This is only happening on WiFi, wired I have no problems at all...

I've added the MTU key and tried to detect the effective MTU using the ping method described in the article too, but I can't even get a 100% response with multiple tests on the lowest settings.

Three ping rounds (= 12 pings) will always get me at least one time-out on WiFi.

E.g. [ping www.google.com -f -l 548]

Any suggestions?

Cool Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by modnet25
    then add a DWORD-Value, name it MTU and assign the value hex 5d4 (that's 1492 in dec).
    Thanks for this, I spent 2 nights trying to solve this before I've found your solution!

Question Black Hole Router

Hi all,

i would like to discuss on how we can change the settings in the wl500g to get rid of this black hole thing described here
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1920

@oleg: may be you can explain something?
    @antiloop: you are also one of the hardcoders here...some idea?

@all others: i can't believe that this issue not important...go - start your brains and let's find a solution

so far
    alex

Wl500g is not a blackhole. Your PC firewall blocks ICMP traffic.

damn

you're right but why the hack couldn't you answer a few days before
    changed the settings and now it seems to work.

Strange, I've answered to you about a year ago about a PMTU discovery, which is done by the means of ICMP.

Unhappy eh

did it send a reply?

Unhappy me again :-/

hi all, hi oleg ;-)

i still have problems using the router.
    when i connect my notebook (thinkpad r52) to the cable i can upload a file (350kb) to my ftp somewhere located in the internet.

then i deactivate the LAN, ensuring that there's no firewall enabled, that the windows firewall is also deactivated and that the MAC has no IP.

now turning on the WLAN, ensuring that a valid IP is assigned and calling google.de works fine.
    BUT
    Uploading the same file is not possible.

i'm totally sure that there is no firewall...
    i also allowed all icmp traffic in the windows network properties dialog for the wlan unit.

any ideas?
    i really need help...

best regards
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by modnet25
    hi all,

if you have lags when loading sites or when some sites never load in the webbrowser and you have a DESKTOP FIREWALL installed then this might be a solution:

hth
    alex (modnet25)
    That is just a workaround, not a solution. The problem is that somewhere on the way of the packets you send, a certain type of ICMP packets is dropped/filtered. Sonetimes, even companies do that. However, it is more likely that your desktop firewall is configured badly. Let it pass ICMP Destination Unreachable-Fragmentation Needed packets and it should work.

Frank

I had this time-out problem too, it was solved by switching to Oleg's latest firmware. I used to run 1.9.6.0 and tried the reg thing and adding ping stuff to windows firewall, to no avail...

So thumbs up for Oleg .

From a bunch of articles I read online, since I use PPPoE, The correct value for PPPoE should be 1454 (HEX=5ae).