Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

Wds

To share my experiences with you:
    On my set of two WL-500g's WDS does work with WPS-PSK and AES (on Channel 11).
    Both are in AP mode and one of them is connected to a router.

Have to say that bigpond "heartbeat" is 100% stable.

Now if only asus could import olegs fixes into their firmware.

thanks oleg

P.S. In upcoming firmware.....i'd like to see the following things.....i'm sure this isn't the right place to post it....but here it is anyway! Do you think any of these things is likely/possible???

1.. OoB packets support (Currently the WL500g ignores them)
    2.. QoS support...im about to get VOIP (so this would be helpful)
    3.. UPnP ports never closed bug fixed....annoying and a security hole
    Last edited by Wesleyrpg; 21-03-2005 at 06:28.

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    thanks for that, its my first time trying custom firmware so support is most welcome, tried 3 webcams now and i can see in the status log that they are not recognised, don't know if i can afford to buy to many more
    You only need to check the Asus Handbook for supported cams. If none fits your needs go into shops near you and see which ones they sell, tehn look up google for the used chipset (ovv5xx or philips). Cheap is the Terracam Pro if you get one, and good are the bigger Logitech ones... or ask ebay .

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi

You only need to check the Asus Handbook for supported cams. If none fits your needs go into shops near you and see which ones they sell, tehn look up google for the used chipset (ovv5xx or philips). Cheap is the Terracam Pro if you get one, and good are the bigger Logitech ones... or ask ebay .

Greets
    Look also for the dedicated tread compatibility in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi

Greets

I read the handbook I think that was why I picked the trust :/ maybe i wasn't wearing my glasses that day

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    Look also for the dedicated tread compatibility in the forum.
    I based my latest purchase on that thread

[about the gift unslung package]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Well, looks like gift build is broken then. Unslung packages are not tested at the moment. Someone should take care of this.
    giftd doesnt give the 'compiled against libc' (or something like that) error anymore, however it doesn't work either. It complains about me not having run gift-setup, which is correct since gift-setup uses perl..

I have the feeling changing the gift-setup with one that doesn't use perl, or including perl as a package would do the trick.

//edit
    It appears perl is not needed, and that the current gift package does contain the correct binary. All that is needed to do to get it to work after using ipkg to install it, is editing the config templates, and copying them to the proper locations.
    Last edited by hezik; 24-03-2005 at 06:13.

[Edit: good to hear that gift is now working :-) Kudos to hezik.]

Just to be very clear about these Unslung packages: They were written for, and have been verified on, the Linksys NSLU2 device only. That device is an XScale (armeb) processor (as opposed to the WL500g which is mipsel), and uses Glibc (as opposed to the WL500g which uses uClibc).

"Including Perl as a package" might sound like a simple thing to do, but it took at least three months of significant effort by at least three people in parallel to get Perl compiled and working on the Linksys NSLU2 (we first had to get a native compilation environment working, and then compile all the things you need to compile perl, and then compile perl itself). It would probably take roughly the same amount of time to port it to the WL500g (if it is even possible).

So don't be surprised when a package doesn't work. And don't be surprised if reports of packages (that have not been released into the ipk feed) not working fall upon deaf ears and are not answered :-)

Also, the chance of someone else fixing a package for you is quite small. The wl500g developers will be working on those packages that they individually need, and there is no-one who's job it is to port other packages to the wl500g. We certainly don't want to distract Oleg from producing his fine firmware, so please don't expect him to do it :-)

With that all said, both Oleg and myself welcome patches to the Unslung packages to get them working for the wl500g.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 24-03-2005 at 06:22.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    [Edit: good to hear that gift is now working :-) Kudos to hezik.]
    Thanks, but you're thanking the messenger, not the one who created the message :P.. I didn't do anything besides installing it :P So thanks to the unknown fool who repaired it

"Including Perl as a package" might sound like a simple thing to do, but it took at least three months of significant effort by at least three people in parallel to get Perl compiled and working on the Linksys NSLU2 (we first had to get a native compilation environment working, and then compile all the things you need to compile perl, and then compile perl itself). It would probably take roughly the same amount of time to port it to the WL500g (if it is even possible).
    I didn't mean to ... eh.. 'step on' the effort needed to do such a thing (can't find the proper english term for it). I apologize if i did so.

We certainly don't want to distract Oleg from producing his fine firmware, so please don't expect him to do it :-)
    Just don't tell Oleg they even exist, and chain him to his firmware development machine :P

With that all said, both Oleg and myself welcome patches to the Unslung packages to get them working for the wl500g.
    Ok, I'm willing to fix the gift package so that it works immediatly after installing it. Before i do that, a question about 'unslung'. Is 'unslung' a fork of a package depot for that linksys device, with the sole purpose to be used for the asus, or is it the linksys depot itself?

Quote Originally Posted by hezik
    I didn't mean to ... eh.. 'step on' the effort needed to do such a thing (can't find the proper english term for it). I apologize if i did so.
    No need to apologise - you did not offend anyone. :-)

Just don't tell Oleg they even exist, and chain him to his firmware development machine :P
    Too late - Oleg was instrumental in getting the wl500g packages started :-)

Ok, I'm willing to fix the gift package so that it works immediatly after installing it. Before i do that, a question about 'unslung'. Is 'unslung' a fork of a package depot for that linksys device, with the sole purpose to be used for the asus, or is it the linksys depot itself?
    The Unslung CVS is meant to be a common source code repository for Unslung packages that started with the NSLU2 and now are designed to be able to support the WL500g too.

wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg is Oleg's offical ipk binary repository for non-Unslung packages. wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung is Oleg's ipk binary repository for Unslung packages. ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung is the nslu2-linux project's ipk binary repository for Unslung packages.

So the source code is meant to be common, but the binary download locations are separate.

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by hezik
    //edit
    It appears perl is not needed, and that the current gift package does contain the correct binary. All that is needed to do to get it to work after using ipkg to install it, is editing the config templates, and copying them to the proper locations.
    Well, great! Could you please write a wiki on how to properly configure it?

*cough* I'm a little embarrassed, but so far it seems as though this firmware has worked perfectly without that darn MN-710. I still don't know why it had such a bad reaction to 1.9.2.7-based firmwares whereas the WL-138g has shown indifference.

Thanks, Oleg!

There is a problem with "Idle Disconnect Time" in this firmware, which wasn't in the previous firmware.

When I set the "Idle Disconnect Time" to "0" it told me that it wasn't valid or something like that (did it a few day ago and cant remember) and it wouldn't connect to the internet, but when I set it to 32 000 it started working.

Did anyone else got this error?

Slow browsing

Hello,

I tried Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4, works well except for one thing. Browsing became much slower.
    I tried going back to wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx and the problem disappeared.

Anything i could do about it? I would like to keep the costum firmware installed but not at the price of slow surfing.

mike777, I don't believe I've noticed anything like that...

Try manually setting the first DNS server (in the web administration) to one of your ISP's.

How?
    1. Navigate to Status & Log -> Status
    2. Take note (/copy) of one of the listed DNS Servers
    3. Navigate to IP Config -> DHCP Server
    4. Set DNS Server 1 to the DNS server you took note of (/paste)
    5. Finish
    6. Save & Restart

See if that speeds it up for you.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast