Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elpaso
    Hi,

I've successfully flashed the new firmware on my WL-HDD, but now the "old" root filesystem on my HDD is still mounted as root filesystem: how to copy the new root filesystem over the old one?

How can I mount the new filesystem from the new firmware and copy the files?

I tried mount /dev/root /sq -t squashfs but I get a permission denied message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Code:
    rmdir /mnt
    reboot
    Once rebooted it should not mount rootfs and you should follow original instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Code:
    rmdir /mnt
    reboot
    Once rebooted it should not mount rootfs and you should follow original instructions.
    Thanks oleg, it worked perfectly

I'm now trying to install packages (gift) from unslung, but there is a libc issue:
    Code:
    [admin@wl /root]$ gift-setup
    -sh: gift-setup: not found
    [admin@wl /root]$ giftd
    giftd: linked against GNU libc!
    Should I install other libs to run this packages?
    Are thy meant to run in chroot?

Quote Originally Posted by elpaso
    Thanks oleg, it worked perfectly

I'm now trying to install packages (gift) from unslung, but there is a libc issue:
    Code:
    [admin@wl /root]$ gift-setup
    -sh: gift-setup: not found
    [admin@wl /root]$ giftd
    giftd: linked against GNU libc!
    Should I install other libs to run this packages?
    Are thy meant to run in chroot?
    Well, looks like gift build is broken then. Unslung packages are not tested at the moment. Someone should take care of this.

Hi,

Just flashed my router with this firmware in the hope of making my storage of files on my usb disk in both windows and mac a more enjoyable task than FTPing

However, I have come accross some problems:

Samba: By the look of it I have to change some settings 'in' my router, how can I go about activating this, and using it in win/mac

NFS: This looks more complete than Samba, however whenever I try to connect I get access denied, so I try to do it using my router user and password and it still fails..is this correct?

mount admin:admin@192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount

where I added usb as one of the exported names

Thank you very much in advance, hopefully I can use the shared usb disk to it's potential

Quote Originally Posted by mr0mega
    Samba: By the look of it I have to change some settings 'in' my router, how can I go about activating this, and using it in win/mac
    Nothing except specifying LAN host name and enabling samba.

NFS: This looks more complete than Samba, however whenever I try to connect I get access denied, so I try to do it using my router user and password and it still fails..is this correct?

mount admin:admin@192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount
    Nfs does not use usernames concept at all. So the right command should be as simmple as this:
    Code:
    mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk /Mount
    Also, you need to be sure, that directory /usb exists on the router or you've used appropriate options in the exports to map /usb to something really present. Did you?

Hi,

Thanks for answering my questions, I have enabled NFS, and created two folders on my usb disk, any directory specified in the mount command gives me this error:

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount
    mount_nfs: can't access /usb: Permission denied

The same with your example:

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk /Mount
    mount_nfs: can't access /tmp/harddisk: Permission denied

I will restart my mac, and see if I have any look with SAMBA

Also, I cannot get my mac to print, if I use RAW printing there is no way of specifing the port to use, and so that doesn't work.

If I set to LPR, it still won't print, even though it seems to send the data to the router.

If you have any ideas I would be more than happy to try them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mr0mega
    I will restart my mac, and see if I have any look with SAMBA
    It appears, that MAC requires support for CIFS, which is not supported by this Samba version.

I've been looking everywhere, but I'm curious: Has anybody got a working NFS share working using the Windows services for Unix toolkit (SFU)?

I can see the shared directory's in 'My Network Places' -> 'Entire Network' -> 'Favourite LAN'. When I want to mount it (or just access it), it asks me for a username and password but every username/password I enter is wrong (and yes, I tried the admin user as well)...

NFS does not require username/password. The checks and access control are performed by client itself (which is why nfs is considered insecure).

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    NFS does not require username/password. The checks and access control are performed by client itself (which is why nfs is considered insecure).
    Hmm, yes it seems to be: http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?at...ntid=398&stc=1

But when I want to access it, Windows says: http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?at...ntid=399&stc=1

I've got not a clue why... (I am administrator on my computer).

EDIT: Forget this question please, I found out I need to setup some usermapping for SFU.... I'll report later
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Styno; 30-03-2005 at 22:07.

I will probably will be kicked for this (i hope not) but i like the features in this firmware. As i noticed that there is an ssh client in here and thats one thing i like to have.

But now i have a little problem.
    1. Is this version safer / more stable then the asus firmware?
    2. Is there a webinterface?
    3. Can i just upload the firmware to my asus wl500g?

i have a bit linux knowledge but not much aimed at the wl500g

br
    Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by yilias
    I will probably will be kicked for this (i hope not) but i like the features in this firmware. As i noticed that there is an ssh client in here and thats one thing i like to have.

But now i have a little problem.
    1. Is this version safer / more stable then the asus firmware?
    2. Is there a webinterface?
    3. Can i just upload the firmware to my asus wl500g?

i have a bit linux knowledge but not much aimed at the wl500g

br
    Ronald
    Well, I must say: You should read a bit in this forum, but I won't kick you out for this

1. Simple rule: When you install more software on a router -> it will become less safe. But hey, everyone is doing this and I've never heard of someone being hacked for it.
    2. Yes, it uses the original Asus webinterface with some added pages. An webinterface for ipk packages is underway.
    3. Yes, uploading works as described in your manual.

I've read on first post that this firmware still has wi-fi issues. I just want to confirm the problem I have is determinated by the wi-fi driver or if my router chip is really broken.

With netstumbler, I get an output of 80dBm while the computer is just 1 meter away from the router, in the same room. Tried on a PCMCIA D-Link card and on a Centrino. Both have severe problems with wireless and I don't have signal in a distance of 5 meters tops.

What is your opinion? Firmware issues/wi-fi driver or broken chip? (I tried a different antenna, the one that bundles with asus motherboards and I had exactly the same problem).

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by nOBeLium
    I've read on first post that this firmware still has wi-fi issues. I just want to confirm the problem I have is determinated by the wi-fi driver or if my router chip is really broken.

With netstumbler, I get an output of 80dBm while the computer is just 1 meter away from the router, in the same room. Tried on a PCMCIA D-Link card and on a Centrino. Both have severe problems with wireless and I don't have signal in a distance of 5 meters tops.

What is your opinion? Firmware issues/wi-fi driver or broken chip? (I tried a different antenna, the one that bundles with asus motherboards and I had exactly the same problem).

Thanks,
    Looks like hardware problem. It should be about -30 - -50 dB.

Thank you for the reply Oleg. Any suggestion before taking it to the local shop I bought it from?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast