Thread: Best PS3 media server?

Best PS3 media server?

Hi, I am running a WL500W with 1GB USB drive and I will buy a PS3 soon. Which media server is the best media server to stream all movie types?

I want to stream all video formats directly from my router (and harddisk).

I'm using Mediatomb, works good.
    You just need to make sure that the video is already in a format that the PS3 can read, if not then convert it to a format that the PS3 will need, then place it on you HDD connected to your router.

Mediatomb will not transcode the video.
    WL-500gp (Premium) v2
    transmission, dropbear, open-sftp, samba2, mediatomb(PS3), midnight commander

Transcoding realtime not possible and other performace problems.

The WL500W is not going to transcode foreign formats realtime and also my SABnzbd is stuck at max. 0,5megabyte per second instead of 1,5 (which is the max of my desktop).

I will either need a QNAP or other brand with 512mb or more memory and a faster processor or just use a standard PC as server and install Linux on that machine. Too bad that my WL500W is not upgradable to 512mb or even 1024.

Probably, I will use the desktop pc as server option with 'PS3 Media Server' and the latests version of SABnzbd on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Mediatomb cannot transcode the subtitles, neither ?

PS3 Working great.

Currently, my set-up is working perfectly.
    - XAMMP for other purposes such as a photobook.
    - PS3Mediaserver
    - SABNzbd+ on a Windows XP machine (rather have it on Linux though, but PS3Mediaserver is a big hassle to install and keep updated with all codecs on Linux. The XP version is user-friendly...

Downloading at maximum linespeed, nzb file upload externally with either ftp upload or with the web gui provided by SABNZBd.

PS3 can play all files/ formats perfectly through cable network using the server internal harddisk. The external USB harddisk is too slow for larger formats such as HD and some other formats.

Server is a 2.4ghz Intel pentium with 1gb memory. It's a standard Dell office desktop case with highspeed startup times and low noise fans.

Realtime decoding

Bytheway, realtime decoding is working perfectly for all video formats. It needs some tweaking for correct subtitle presentation.

Another option would be mediatomb, but you should have an auto-encoder or encode every movie manually which is a big hassle.