Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying WL-500G-D: WDD/Bandwidth management any good?

Buying WL-500G-D: WDD/Bandwidth management any good?

I'm thinking of buying a WL-500G-Deluxe.

But I'm really interested in the Bandwidth management.

- Is the `WDD` bandwidth managent supplied with the WL-500G-D any good? Does it work well enough for me to use Skype while downloading to the max. Does it configure easily or is it as trial and error as using the Wondershaper script?

- Is the bandwidth management on custom firmwares good enough again for me to use Skype while at the same time downloading to the max.

Ditto with ssh, vnc and normal VoIP.

- Will I still be able to play games while my flatmate saturates the connection with p2p traffic?

Finally, any comment on the USB2 HD and webcam sharing features? Do they work well or any problems? It has to be good or I might as well get cheaper Linksys WRT.

Well, bought one now.

WLAN port doesn't work so I can't use it.

Not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jago25_98
    Well, bought one now.

WLAN port doesn't work so I can't use it.

Not impressed.
    then it's maybe smart to enable WLAN ?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

read this:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=922

Hardware says connected (light on),
    software says "media disconnected"

At the moment I'm trying different maxs and mins for my WL-500g bandwidth managment, no joy yet. My daughter uses Skype and it eats away the bandwidth while I play online. I get ping rates of 300+.
    As soon as I get a good ping rate while she uses Skype, I'll let you know how I done it (if I ever do!!!)
    Marky
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

Thanks mark, that's the sort of thing I'm interested in.

I'm suprised Skype uses so much, I'll have to check that out next time I use it.

The thing is, do you actually have enough bandwidth to use Skype and play a game at the same time - unlike p2p those 2 probably won't like being throttled?

If you're shes using linux (yeah right) this command might work (I think I'll try it myself later when my downloads finish) -

http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle

so you could try something like

trickle -d 10 -u 5 skype

But that's limiting Skype when ideally you want to priortise gaming ports (27015?)

It's shame Skype can't use a proxy because that could be another avenue to try.

Are you using WDD from the ASUS firmware or wondershaper?

Hi ya,
    I've been getting some help from Styno with this.
    I want to limit Skype (at the end of the day, I'm not using it but I'm paying the bills for NTL. The service I've got is the 300K package, 25-37kbps upload & 250kbps d/l). As for priortise gaming ports, that is what I wanna do but how?. The port of the server I log on while gaming is 27960, do I need to put this in the upload policy and their IP address in the download policy. I thought it was the port of my pc I had to put in the upload. Sorry but I'm a n00b at this.
    I've now installed the firmware 1.9.2.7 cr4 from oleg but I have no idea whatsoever on wondershaper or how to start it. It has been spoke about and I've tried to get my head around it but.... duhhoo, no luck Can you shed some light on this??

Linux, sorry but I'm not using this.
    Someone sent me this to read up on about Skype, thought it might intrest you?? http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=16251

Cheers
    Marky
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

I'm sorry to hear you're on NTHell

try telnetting in and running this:

Code:
    wshaper start "$1" 220 220
    What's the upload in kbits?

Just got of the phone to NTHell, my download is 25-30Kbs and upload is 5-6kps.
    Sorry but what's telnetting and where do I type wshaper start "$1" 220 220.
    (Arrggghhhh do I hear you scream... sorry)

Cheers
    Marky
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

need custom firmware for telnet access:
    http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.9.2.7-4/

then:

start > run > telnet 192.168.1.1

user default is admin:admin

Thumbs up

Cheers mate

tried the code and got a message about cannot find "root". I would cut and paste a screen shot but I don't know how.
    Last edited by markyap73; 22-03-2005 at 20:00.
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

Just got of the phone to NTHell, my download is 25-30Kbs and upload is 5-6kps.
    Then forget your plan. 5-6kps just is too little to use skype and do other stuff at the same time. You sure they said 5-6 kps? (I take it they ment Kb/s).

Quote Originally Posted by jago25_98
    I'm sorry to hear you're on NTHell

try telnetting in and running this:

Code:
    wshaper start "$1" 220 220
    What's the upload in kbits?
    jago, please do not write the things you've no idea about. The code snippet above is intended to run from post-firewall and will NEVER work from the interactive session, as $1 would be undefined. Please try the things yourself BEFORE posting suggestions to the forum.
    There was already some noisy posts from you, which I've personally moved to Trash, as questions/suggestions was already discussed on the forum.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hezik
    Then forget your plan. 5-6kps just is too little to use skype and do other stuff at the same time. You sure they said 5-6 kps? (I take it they ment Kb/s).
    Mmmm . Thanks for your help with this. I've been in touch with AOL about 1Mb broadband, I hope then I can get some gaming in and then prioritize my gaming while she's on Skype (hope I can turn to you guys for help??).
    Once again, thanks for your help.
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

Quote Originally Posted by hezik
    I've upgraded my NTL to their 2Mb (which is 23Kb/s U/L) service, I still want to put my gaming as high priority so any avaible bandwidth, after I'm online, is used by her Skype.

On the Skpye forum, Jayo25_98 has posted that WDD is used:

The easiest method I've seen is to buy an Asus WL-500G or WL-500G-D. (less than £70). It comes with a built in function called `WDD`. You then need to change the port that Skype uses to the port commonly used for VoIP (voice over IP) - port 5065.
    Like I've said before, I'm no expert in anything like this. What is the best way of doing this, Wondershaper?? Or as Styno stated:
    Complex: Try setting up QoS with webinterface. Here we have two options:
    a) Put Skype in a low priority queue or,
    b) Put Castle Wolfenstein in a high priority queue.
    Which is done, how??

Have a good Easter
    Marky
    WL-500g 1.9.2.7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast