Thread: WiMax with Madwimax driver

WiMax with Madwimax driver

Hello,

has anyone tried using Samsung SWC-U200 usb wimax dongle under linux and, specifically, our beloved Asus routers? According to a few sources, to use it one needs libusb library and Madwimax linux driver.

Project: http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/

I'd love hearing some info about this, especially because my country has recently started offering 10 mbps WiMax connection and I'd like letting WL500 route it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Hello,

has anyone tried using Samsung SWC-U200 usb wimax dongle under linux and, specifically, our beloved Asus routers? According to a few sources, to use it one needs libusb library and Madwimax linux driver.

Project: http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/

I'd love hearing some info about this, especially because my country has recently started offering 10 mbps WiMax connection and I'd like letting WL500 route it.

Thanks.
    Ordered Samsung Wimax phone and dongles 2 years ago, directly from Korea.
    Expected to set up dongles to work p2p like WiFi.
    Unfortunately, it didn't work and there is no Wimax operator in my region.

There is a number Wimax products in the November catalog of products by Asus. Wimax routers, AP ...
    Local operator doesn't support user's wimax terminals.

I joined maemo project by Nokia and Nokia worked really hard to come with
    Nokia Wimax Internet Tablet to a market.

In the meantime world went broadband HSDPA/HSUPA and Wimax is still in testing phase in Europe.

At Barcelona 2009 Fair both Wimax and HSDPA Internet access technologies were discussed and Wimax is expected to support HSDPA as last mile technology.

I contacted guys from a city in UK making every efforts to not live in Free WiFi Zone, established in their city.

Both Wimax and broadband HSDPA are good solutions to keep radio transmitters far from their flats.

Darius

Well I wasn't too interested in WiMax technology until it officially started being offered for end users here. Prices aren't that bad either; unlimited 10 mbps for about 25 Euro. Best thing about is, they have 14 days free return time. So I'm hoping to give it a try and see how it goes.