Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wake-on-LAN

Question Wake-on-LAN

Hi,

Can anybody use wl-500b/g for wol pass-through?

I have Dlink DI-604 now, and it blocking the "magic packet".

I tried AMD Magic packet utility from outside, and publish 192.168.0.255 - UDP2304. nothing happend.

I monitored my network with Iris Network Monitor, and I seen: my router made an ARP-request, but not sent "magic packet".

I read about Linksys and SMC has WOL capatibility, but WL500b/g ?

thanks

Tibor

Red face

Hi everybody,

Nobody doesn't try to Wake on lan?

I want to change my router , and I need some help from other WL-500 owner.
    If anybody want to help me and has two computers, please follow instructions:

check wake-on-lan on your lan, and if working please:

1. publish (virtual server) 192.1.1.255 UDP 9
    2. go to http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup site
    3. write your public IP and MAC address of your PC2 and click button
    4. please write me your experience

thank you

Tibor

nobody has found the way of do wake on wan with the wl500g ?

most of my workstations do not support wake-on-lan (nvidia nForce chipset) so i can't test it..

maybe my intel mobo powered pc does support it.. should try this once..

thank you Antiloop.
    i try as mr_prof to forward port 2304 (port using by msi magic packet) to the local broadcast network but it doesn't work too. in the status log, the udp packet enter on the 2304 port of the router but the redirection doesn'r seems to work. I install firewall software on a computer in my local network it doesn't receive udp packet

i try as mr_prof to forward port 2304 (port using by msi magic packet) to the local broadcast network but it doesn't work too
    I do not think it can work that way.
    I guess that when forwarding the magic packet (NAT), the router does not recognize the forwarding address as a broadcast address (as cisco does) and issues an ARP request which, of course, fails.

This can be easily verified with ethereal.

Possibly, you can use static ARP in order to send the wol packet directly to your PC. However i am not sure that the ASUS supports it.

Originally posted by mr_prof
    Hi,
    I'm sad. Last week, I tried a Linksys BEFW11S4 and WOL was OK, but it has'nt USB and parallel ports.

Ark+ I don't understand :Possibly, you can use static ARP in order to send the wol packet directly to your PC.

How can I use static ARP???
    more important is. DOES it work at a Linksys WRT54g ?
    if it does, then it can be added to the wl500g

Unhappy

Hi,
    I'm sad. Last week, I tried a Linksys BEFW11S4 and WOL was OK, but it has'nt USB and parallel ports.

Ark+ I don't understand :Possibly, you can use static ARP in order to send the wol packet directly to your PC.

How can I use static ARP???

With a standard Unix, the instruction for static arp is :
    arp -s 192.168.1.10 01:02:03:04:05:06

Using this instruction, the host will not send an ARP request in order to convert an IP address -192.168.1.10) into a MAC address (01:02:03:04:05:06).

Thus the ASUS will be able to create the wol packet with the forwarded IP address (ie 192.168.1.10) and the right MAC address (the one you have entered using static ARP).

Unfortunately arp is not provided with the ASUS linux subset, but there should be a way.

Perhaps /etc/ethers should be used. You will have to set the nvram variables etc_ethers and etc_hosts as specified by Oleg.

I also did not get it to work with port forwarding, dunno why.

The way I found to work is to SSH to my WL500, and send the WOL command from the command prompt. That does work pretty well.

I found compiled 3 programs that did the trick.
    ether-wake,wakelan,wol (the smallest, attached here)
    Hope this works for you
    Attached Files Attached Files

quite interresting.. is this compiled for the wl500g? (e.g. found at the wrt54g community maybe? ) could you attach the others as well..

i've liked the wol feature for a long time until i installed my nForce which seemed to not support it for a weird reason..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

No, I compiled then myself for the WL500g from some sources I found on the internet (not releated to the linksys)

They are rather large, as I comiled them with -static. Somehow when I don't compile them with -static, they complain 'bout missing libriaries etc (but they are small then )

Anyway, I guess there is some fiiference between my installed toolchain and Oleg's one. I'll experiment some more.

I'll also try to attach the sources, and settings for compiling if you are interested.

BTW. For me they are working fine on the nforce2 chippset, I switched on the wake-on-lan both in Windows (network driver setting) as well as in bios.

have to recheck it.. at that time it did not work, also msi was not willing to fix this, because according to them the nforce did not support it at all

it was only working when I inserted a 3com card..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by erik_bies
    No, I compiled then myself for the WL500g from some sources I found on the internet (not releated to the linksys)

They are rather large, as I comiled them with -static. Somehow when I don't compile them with -static, they complain 'bout missing libriaries etc (but they are small then )

Anyway, I guess there is some fiiference between my installed toolchain and Oleg's one. I'll experiment some more.

I'll also try to attach the sources, and settings for compiling if you are interested.

BTW. For me they are working fine on the nforce2 chippset, I switched on the wake-on-lan both in Windows (network driver setting) as well as in bios.
    The difference is not in the toolchain, but in the relinked libs. Can you point to the original sources you've used?

Oleg/Antiloop
    Pls find attached the sources.
    if you succeeded ub compiling them with dynamically loaded libc I'm interessted...

BTW how can I sync to yourlibc? I installed the linksys package.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast