Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PL2303 module backport from 2.6.8 to 2.4.20

PL2303 module backport from 2.6.8 to 2.4.20

Hi. I've got a PL2303(X) adaptor which didn't work with any 2.4.X kernels.
    (There seem to be different chipsets under this name which are nonetheless incompatible to one another - the 2.4.X kernel holds support for just one of them)
    However the 2.6.X kernel modules worked just fine so I backported the driver from 2.6.8 to 2.4.20 and wonder if there's anybody else with the same problem interested in the patch/modified driver files.

yes, everybody is interested. Post it.

Thanks!

ehci incompatibility?

Hi Folks.
    It seems that the device that's perfectly working on a wl500g doesn't cooperate with my new wl500g deluxe. In fact, I get a "unable to get device descriptor" when I plug it and the green LED on my hub only flashes shortly before staying dark. (usually lit up even without the driver loaded )
    I suspect that the incompatibility has got something to do with the fact that the deluxe has got USB2.0 while the wl500g only has got USB1.1 .
    I gave my adaptre away along with the wl500g since a friend of mine needed it but I lacked another machine with USB2.0 to verify... so - just out of curiosity: can anyone confirm this incompatibility with either ehci-hcd or USB2.0 as such and has anyone succeeded plugging adaptres with different chipsets to the deluxe he'd recommend?

kodomo, small question regarding your patch - which sources you've used to perform diff? This is not against 1.9.2.7 kernel...
    As for your problem - please try using it without a hub. Also, usb 1.1 devices are handled by uhci, so you could try compiling alternate driver (as there are two in the kernel).

Quote Originally Posted by kodomo
    Can you post the full files? I can't find a suitable base version for you patch to apply cleanly to.

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    kodomo, small question regarding your patch - which sources you've used to perform diff? This is not against 1.9.2.7 kernel...
    As for your problem - please try using it without a hub. Also, usb 1.1 devices are handled by uhci, so you could try compiling alternate driver (as there are two in the kernel).
    The patches are against linux kernel 2.4.20 (worked against vanilla as well as the one in openwrt stable)
    - I don't think that the hub's the problem, as it worked with the hub though I could try (have to ask the person I gave it to though and he's gone for about 2 weeks - so this could take a while )
    - it was working perfectly on my /wl500g/ but is not on the /wl500g deluxe/, which has usb 2.0 (as to my knowledge there's only ehci for usb 2.0)
    - I don't think that the problem's with the driver itself as the usb system fails to get the device identified and rejects it way before the driver could be loaded.

Here are the patches again together with the plain files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kodomo
    The patches are against linux kernel 2.4.20 (worked against vanilla as well as the one in openwrt stable)
    - I don't think that the hub's the problem, as it worked with the hub though I could try (have to ask the person I gave it to though and he's gone for about 2 weeks - so this could take a while )
    Try using it wthout hub, as hubs are often causing problems. This could be just hub incompatibility of some kind. wl500g uses ohci for usb 1.1, wl500gx - uhci.
    - it was working perfectly on my /wl500g/ but is not on the /wl500g deluxe/, which has usb 2.0 (as to my knowledge there's only ehci for usb 2.0)
    ehci handles usb 2.0 devices only, 1.1 devices are handled by uhci. Internally usb 2.0 controllers have 2 usb hosts (2.0 and 1.1) and MUX which connects ports to the correct host.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    ehci handles usb 2.0 devices only, 1.1 devices are handled by uhci. Internally usb 2.0 controllers have 2 usb hosts (2.0 and 1.1) and MUX which connects ports to the correct host.
    Now this would be a /very/ good reason for it not to work, since I didn't compile uhci support into my deluxe kernel *g* Thus all other devices connected to the hub were (by coincidence) USB2.0 compatible, while the said adaptre only supported 1.1. Thanks . This should solve my problem.
    Last edited by kodomo; 02-04-2005 at 15:35.

Oleg,

Here is the patch in the right format for your firmware build.

-- Rod

new port from 2.6.12.3 to 2.4.30

Hi.

If anyone's interested, I've re-ported the driver from 2.6.12.3 to 2.4.30 (the old port was hackish and lacking some functionality. The 2.6.12.3 version seems to be working out fine.

Does anybody have a port for kernel 2.4.20 ?

Thanks a lot.

Gabriel

@kodomo

I am using your driver with a Kernel 2.4.33 pre1. I attached a Digitus USB1.1 Adapter and everything works great.

I have this messages in my dmesg file:

host/usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 40408280, flags 0, urb 810e2ee0, burb 810e2ee0
    pl2303.c: pl2303_read_int_callback - usb_submit_urb failed with result -6

Any serious problem? I am using the normal UHCI driver in the kernel. Should I use the UHCI JE Driver?

Thanks,
    Madman
    Last edited by madman; 19-02-2006 at 20:21.

When I use the UHCI JE Driver I get the following error, but it works...

pl2303.c: pl2303_read_int_callback - usb_submit_urb failed with result -19

Any ideas? Is it because of USB2.0 and USB1.1 mix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast