Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WL-500gP & Wi-Fi 802.11n

Thumbs up WL-500gP & Wi-Fi 802.11n

Can someone tell me what minipci adapter must buy to operate in 802.11n?
    10x

That works with no problem on kamikaze: http://74.125.43.101/translate_c?hl=...A-84o9bKUnCn0A

And cost about 20$.

Just in case the link below from Lesiuk gets broken, it makes reference to "Network card miniPCI WLAN TP-Link TL-WN861N"

throughput? kamikaze build?

Hello,

can you post details? what kamikaze build? from trunk? what rev? also what is the max throughput? did you get N speeds? or is caped at 2.7MBps with cpu in full load?

maybe you can upload your test .bin so we can test. I have the exact Tplink card and WL500GP ver.1

Thanks!

BR,
    Invictus
    Last edited by Invictus; 05-03-2009 at 22:19.

TP-Link TL-WN961N tested to work on Asus WL-500gP ?

Yes, the above link is broken. Thank you to clearing what it point to.
    But is it tested by someonw this TP-Link PCI adapter is working on Asus WL500gP
    Just plug and Play?

brgds
    A

6. I'm interested too. Has anyone tested?

Quote Originally Posted by antair View Post
    I'm interested too. Has anyone tested?
    Has up to now somebody successfully installed a TL-WN861N to a WL500gp?
    As the WL500gp only lacks N-speed this would be a cheap upgrade path.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher@wl500g View Post
    Has up to now somebody successfully installed a TL-WN861N to a WL500gp?
    As the WL500gp only lacks N-speed this would be a cheap upgrade path.
    It is look to be a great idea, but it is not.

I got TL-WN861N on my WL-500gP combined with latest Kamikadze trunk. It was intresting experience, but after all now I am usng stock wifi card and Oleg fw back again.

You need to anwser to yourself: You want to experiment with n-draft and wl-500gp, or you want fast, stable wireless network maintained via WL500gp router.

If you like experimenting with your wifi network, you should try to install TL-WN861N card, but - i warn you - it take some time before you get your wifi working (i mean efficiently).

I gave up because I need a quite sable wifi connection, wich OpenWRT latest trunk can't provide (very buggy ath9k driver).

I never got pure n-draft connection. It's showed up in connection manager as "n" mode network, but forget about 300mbps speed.

Probably you never get full n-draft speed because of WL500gp's CPU wich can not provide enough power to handle draft.

Well, the task would be to find a module with good drivers for 2.4.x kernel.
    I think after loading the appropriate driver it shall work, because authentication and so on are handled by another protocol layer.
    The CPU can handle it for sure, because the WL500W has the same CPU but N WiFi card.
    Which speeds did you reach? I guess the problem on one hand is, that the WL500Gp has only one antenna and possibly you had a notebook with centrino WiFi card? In 2,4GHz band by default the driver has only 20MHz bandwidth enabled, you have to set to "auto" in the driver settings to get more than 150MBit.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher@wl500g View Post
    The CPU can handle it for sure, because the WL500W has the same CPU but N WiFi card.
    Which speeds did you reach? I guess the problem on one hand is, that the WL500Gp has only one antenna and possibly you had a notebook with centrino WiFi card? In 2,4GHz band by default the driver has only 20MHz bandwidth enabled, you have to set to "auto" in the driver settings to get more than 150MBit.
    I know that cpu can handle it but in wl500W using Broadcom draft wifi card. Maybe this is the point.
    Ofcourse I mounted second antenna to TL-WN861N, and my laptop wifi card is Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    I tried diferent driver settings with same results - in network manager my Wifi network showed up as "n", but speeds was "g" like.

Quote Originally Posted by kauczu View Post
    I know that cpu can handle it but in wl500W using Broadcom draft wifi card. Maybe this is the point.
    Ofcourse I mounted second antenna to TL-WN861N, and my laptop wifi card is Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    I tried diferent driver settings with same results - in network manager my Wifi network showed up as "n", but speeds was "g" like.
    Dunno if you can set regulatory modes for WiFi...
    but I believe intel uses 802.11h, which will increase N speeds

Hello, my friends.

I have a broken wl-500w, but the minipci wireless card is good (wl-121w).

Is it possible to use it on a wl-500GP, enabling it to work with 802.11n?

If so, is it plug and play? (with dd-wrt firm)

Or, since the routers share the same components, except for the wireless cards; can i flash the wl-500w firmware to the wl-500gp to enable the wl-121w card?

Quote Originally Posted by adelino View Post
    Or, since the routers share the same components, except for the wireless cards; can i flash the wl-500w firmware to the wl-500gp to enable the wl-121w card?
    you can flash the wl-500w firmware to a wl-500gp(v1) with the firmware restoration tool quite easily.

so yes, it's pretty much plug and play after you flashed the firmware and attached all the antennas.
    I'm not sure if you are going for external antennas, but you might buy some cheap notebook ones from ebay or something.
    They work quite good

Indeed, my friend. It works. Plug and play, with dd wrt.

Since i have the wl500w case, with the three antenas, i put the wl-500gp board on the wl500w case.

thanks for your answer

As the RTN (Kernel 2.6) firmware was released as BETA and is working really good on the WL500gP I'm asking myself if this will open new opportunities to upgrade the WL500gP to N-Speed, e.g with the TL-WN861N still available?
    Is this possible on this firmware with just adding the driver to the flashfs and loading it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast