Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomato Firmware with USB support

I've been testing with latest teddy bear's tomato mod and Oleg mod to and for. I like the tomato mod for the following:

1) easier to support Chinese filenames (codepage 936) for Samba
    2) more stable support of USB devices
    3) better and easier to use/understand interface
    4) support of wireless ethernet bridge mode

However, the tomato does not fuse.o and hence ntfs-3g. the current ntfs driver comes with tomato cannot display ntfs partitions properly.

the oleg is good for it's support for twonkymedia and ntfs-3g.

Quote Originally Posted by weixing View Post
    I've been testing with latest teddy bear's tomato mod and Oleg mod to and for. I like the tomato mod for the following:

However, the tomato does not fuse.o and hence ntfs-3g. the current ntfs driver comes with tomato cannot display ntfs partitions properly.

the advantages of more stable usb 1.1/2.0 support and ntfs-3g are in 1.9.2.7-d fw only, which is Oleg's based.

How to add codepage 936 to Samba?

I noticed there are 437, 850, 852, and 866 by default. But no 936. How to install it?

Which mod do you install?

Thanks,
    B

Quote Originally Posted by weixing View Post

byzhang,
    Download samba_extra_codepages.tar.gz file from here, and follow instructions in the included readme document to install additional Samba codepages.

I tried to follow your readme, however it seems /jffs is readonly?

I tried to mkdir a partition in my USB disk, but how can I let it auto-mount as /opt?
    The web interface seems only mount under /tmp?

Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear View Post
    byzhang,
    Download samba_extra_codepages.tar.gz file from here, and follow instructions in the included readme document to install additional Samba codepages.

Solved!

Thanks,
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by byzhang View Post
    I tried to follow your readme, however it seems /jffs is readonly?

I tried to mkdir a partition in my USB disk, but how can I let it auto-mount as /opt?
    The web interface seems only mount under /tmp?

Printer doesn't work

Thanks for the usb mod teddy_bear !

I have an asus 520gu and win xp sp3.
    Connected printer to router usb port and the printer name appeared in tomato usb section.
    However when I try to print, windows tells me "the printer is offline" or "document failed to print" .

Any suggestions to make it work ?

Thanks!

does anyone have links to teddy bear's mod for the 520gu tomato firmware? the linksys forum is down and I don't know where to get it.

thanks teddy bear!
    which firmware do i download for my asus 520gu? Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev 3

nevermind, got it. installed the mipsr1 lite

teddy bear: what happened to the file sharing settings? all i see is the FTP option.

movingincircles,
    You installed kernel 2.6 -based build. Because of a kernel size, the Lite version (which doesn't include Samba) is the only one that will fit on 4MB flash.

To get full file sharing support, install "Ext" or "VPN" build based on kernel 2.4.37 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomatousb/files/K24 folder.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear View Post
    movingincircles,
    You installed kernel 2.6 -based build. Because of a kernel size, the Lite version (which doesn't include Samba) is the only one that will fit on 4MB flash.

To get full file sharing support, install "Ext" or "VPN" build based on kernel 2.4.37 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomatousb/files/K24 folder.
    thanks!! got it!

Question Will Future Tomato USB Release With File Sharing Be for 8MB Routers Only?

teddy_bear said: "You installed kernel 2.6 -based build. Because of a kernel size, the Lite version (which doesn't include Samba) is the only one that will fit on 4MB flash.

To get full file sharing support, install "Ext" or "VPN" build based on kernel 2.4.37 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomatousb/files/K24 folder."

Does this mean that all future releases, or at least, all releases using the 2.6 kernel will no longer support USB file sharing on routers with only 4 MB?

I am the proud owner of a new ASUS WL-520GU that I bought specifically because of Tomato's QoS and teddy_bear's USB support. They should be sending you a percentage of their earnings.

By the way, THANK YOU teddy_bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dajabon View Post
    Does this mean that all releases using the 2.6 kernel will no longer support USB file sharing on routers with only 4 MB?
    Yes, 4MB is not enough for everything -(... No space for Samba.
    If you really want Linux 2.6 on your 4MB router for any reason, use Lite build - you can install Optware Samba on your USB drive if needed. Otherwise stick with kernel 2.4-based builds - they are not going away...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast