Thread: Intel 5100 just has 54Mbps! Why?

Wink Intel 5100 just has 54Mbps! Why?

Just bought a Acer 8930G laptop, coming with Intel Link 5100 AGN, I updated the latest driver to 12.2.011, enabled the throughtput enhancement as some of you mentioned this will help to strengthen the signals.

I tried update the Asus WL-500W with firmware 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.6 and finally Oleg 1.9.2.7-10, still can't get 130Mbps connection.

I restored the factory setting and put my laptop just beside the Asus router, the max I got is 65Mbps. When I put the WEP on (just the 64bits one) the rate drop back to 54Mbps!

I tried different settings with the combinations of enabling/disabling the "afterburn", set the regulatory mode to 802.11h/d, enabling/disabling the "frame bursting" and "WMM", no matter what I do, still just the 54Mbps.

So frustrated, and as guys know, sometimes the router stuck and need to do a factory reset, I spent hours and hours and really exhaused.

Is there any one can give me some ideas about the settings of the Asus WL-500W or the Intel Link Card that can give a stable speed 130~150 Mbps? (or more), thanks a lot.

you seem to use the correct settings for the throughput
    I got WPA2 aes encryption
    afterburn and frame bursting on
    802.11d regulatory mode (the protocol intel uses).

but mine is also between 64 and 130, and it goes to 130 when I'm actually transmitting something.

Thank you. Do you know will there will be any improvement to increase the "radio power" in the wireless advance option page?

The default is "19", how far can I put to it? 100?

I will try y9our setting at a latter time and will let you know how is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Solobenben View Post
    Thank you. Do you know will there will be any improvement to increase the "radio power" in the wireless advance option page?

The default is "19", how far can I put to it? 100?

I will try y9our setting at a latter time and will let you know how is the result.
    I don't advice to mess with the transmit power!!!
    it can literary destroy your router
    and in the end... it doesnt change mutch, so transmit power is quite fake

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    you seem to use the correct settings for the throughput
    I got WPA2 aes encryption
    afterburn and frame bursting on
    802.11d regulatory mode (the protocol intel uses).

but mine is also between 64 and 130, and it goes to 130 when I'm actually transmitting something.
    Hi,

Can you tell me how you:

- enable afterburn
    - change to 802.11d regulatory mode

I have a Intel 4965AGN and I cannot connect at N Speeds, only G..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mashimus View Post
    Hi,

Can you tell me how you:

- enable afterburn
    - change to 802.11d regulatory mode

I have a Intel 4965AGN and I cannot connect at N Speeds, only G..

Thanks!
    ofcourse mashimus,

I guess some screenshots are the way forward:
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=119830&postcount=4
    as you obviously have seen it's inside the web admin from your router

the first screenshot is of the settings in: wireless -> interface
    the 2 last screenshots are from: wireless -> advanced

In the first screenshot it's importand to set the bandwith right.
    40MHz is for a router with a few wireless clients, and made for maximum troughput.
    20MHz is for a router with a lot (30 or something) of wireless clients, but is overall a bit slower if you have just 1 client connected.

on the second screenshot you see "Enable afterburner" on the top (should be on yes)
    "Regulatory mode" = 108.11h (no 108.11d, it will give you slow speeds, use the H viariant!)

on the thirth page: frame bursting (gives usually a lower ping), and wmm is for wireless clients with batteries, like a mobile phone with wifi. Laptops usually don't support it and it's made for low power usuage

you all find it?

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    ofcourse mashimus,

I guess some screenshots are the way forward:
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=119830&postcount=4
    as you obviously have seen it's inside the web admin from your router

the first screenshot is of the settings in: wireless -> interface
    the 2 last screenshots are from: wireless -> advanced

In the first screenshot it's importand to set the bandwith right.
    40MHz is for a router with a few wireless clients, and made for maximum troughput.
    20MHz is for a router with a lot (30 or something) of wireless clients, but is overall a bit slower if you have just 1 client connected.

on the second screenshot you see "Enable afterburner" on the top (should be on yes)
    "Regulatory mode" = 108.11h (no 108.11d, it will give you slow speeds, use the H viariant!)

on the thirth page: frame bursting (gives usually a lower ping), and wmm is for wireless clients with batteries, like a mobile phone with wifi. Laptops usually don't support it and it's made for low power usuage

you all find it?
    Thanks for the screenshots and the detailed steps!!

however I don't have these settings... I'm using the official 2.0.0.6 firmware, do I need to be using Olegs? ... also I'm only using the WL500W as a Access Point, does it have to be in router/gateway mode for these options to appear?

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by mashimus View Post
    Thanks for the screenshots and the detailed steps!!

however I don't have these settings... I'm using the official 2.0.0.6 firmware, do I need to be using Olegs? ... also I'm only using the WL500W as a Access Point, does it have to be in router/gateway mode for these options to appear?

Thanks again!!
    I guess the lastest asus firmware uses a different web-interface
    unfortunately I don't know how that one looks like...
    in the older versions of the original fw you should be able to find it this way, as in olegs firmware.

I however think the options should be still available somewhere on the new firmware, otherwise write a letter to the support desk