Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: transmission the latest the greatest

Transmission takes very long to check torrents

Whenever I am forced to restart the router (apply changes in settings), torrent check takes almost an hour (over 20GB downloading) Am I doing something wrong? Should it not save the download state in /tmp/hardisk/transmission/download/resume or this directory is for smoething else?

Is it any way to skip this torrent check or is it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by luke1984 View Post
    Whenever I am forced to restart the router (apply changes in settings), torrent check takes almost an hour (over 20GB downloading) Am I doing something wrong? Should it not save the download state in /tmp/hardisk/transmission/download/resume or this directory is for smoething else?

Is it any way to skip this torrent check or is it necessary?
    The cpu in the router is able to process something like 3-4 MB/s
    that's like 83 minutes or so.
    It's due to the slow cpu and the lack of enough RAM memory these things take long.

The checking is because of 2 things usually:
    1. to see what "blocks" are downloaded yet
    2. to be sure all the downloaded "blocks" are downloaded correctly

to stop it from checking it all the time you should pause it before restarting
    btw, 20GB is an awful lot for routers like these

I had same problem in 1.83 version. So I downgrade back to stable v1.76 and checking is much faster, same as downloading ;-)

you are another person who advices me to downgrade. i thing wengi should put it in his tutorial. not to do ipkg upgrade whenever it is possible. it seems in this case newer isn't better.

btw which firmware are you using now? because i have many problem with my router crashing. i have even disconnected the harddisk now to check if it is the reason.

wpte -> so you think that slow samba transfer rate (I have 2mb/s both over WIFI and cable) within the local network is also limited by router processor?
    Last edited by luke1984; 14-02-2010 at 10:08.

in my case apart from what you say here, also ssh is not working and normal web interface 192.168.1.1 as well. it helped a little to upgrade router firmware to newest on (jan 24) and i have to try as well to downgrade transsmision to 1.76.

still my router crashes for example when i try to install a game (mounted in deamon tools) which iso is on my router-harddisk using samba share. i don't know is it overloaded or what? the transfer rate is really slow anyway (2mb/s) but i've read that is normal. why does it crash then?

wpte -> so you think that slow samba transfer rate (I have 2mb/s both over WIFI and cable) within the local network is also limited by router processor?
    I do not only think it is
    When you benchmark the harddrive on the router it is capable of reaching ~40MB/s BUT programs like samba or transmission do other things than just write/read to/from the harddrive...
    samba is quite a heavy protocol you know...
    and transmission requires hashing (generating checksums) which is also a cpu intensive job

With my new RT-N16 which has a way faster cpu + more RAM things go a lot faster, up to around 8MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by badyto View Post
    ... theres a small 1.80 at the bottom. :-)
    Now i have to figure out how to downgrade...
    You should upgrade before downgrading!!!
    Newest version is 1.83!

do an "ipkg update && ipkg upgrade"

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I do not only think it is
    When you benchmark the harddrive on the router it is capable of reaching ~40MB/s BUT programs like samba or transmission do other things than just write/read to/from the harddrive...
    samba is quite a heavy protocol you know...
    and transmission requires hashing (generating checksums) which is also a cpu intensive job

With my new RT-N16 which has a way faster cpu + more RAM things go a lot faster, up to around 8MB/s
    wow that's an improvement. but the project http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/ doesn't include oleg's firmware for RT-N16 or is it as well aviable? maybe i can change my wl500gp2 for yours. i think I can still send it back to the shop.

wow that's an improvement. but the project http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/ doesn't include oleg's firmware for RT-N16 or is it as well aviable? maybe i can change my wl500gp2 for yours. i think I can still send it back to the shop.
    It is available, but it's still alpha.
    Here and there are still some problems, and unsupported things.

here is the list of compiled firmware binaries I made from the branch:
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=184029&postcount=239
    So that not everyone need to compile it themselves

Thumbs up

Transmission 1.90 is available

All Platforms

* Add an option to disable the .part suffix for incomplete files
    * Add priority selector to GUI clients' add torrent windows
    * Fix 1.81 bug that broke HTTP requests to sites that gave HTTP 301 redirects
    * Fix 1.8x bug in announcing "finished downloading" and "stopping" at the same time
    * Fix 1.8x bug in announcing partial seeds
    * Try harder to make announces finish, even if the tracker responds slowly
    * Fix bug that didn't honor download speed limits of 0
    * Use fallocate64() for fast file preallocation on systems that support it
    * Magnet link improvements
    * Don't let "Disk is full" errors cause loss of configuration files
    * Faster parsing of bencoded data, such as torrent files

avberk can you do your magic?

Thanks in advance velcrow

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by avberk View Post
    Added transmission 1.90

Check beginning of this thread for instructions and link to files.
    Thank You for fast updated

So Guys, how do you like 1.90? Any problems?

Transmission 1.91 (2010/02/21)
    All Platforms
    * Fix 1.90 crash-on-startup bug that affected some users
    * Fix 1.90 bug that caused the "turtle mode" state to be forgotten between sessions
    * Fix 1.83 crash when adding a torrent by URL from an ftp source via the web client
    * For the BitTorrent? spec's "downloaded=X" passage, use the de facto standard

schedule transmission ?

hi
    (sorry if this has been asked before)
    i am trying to get transmission to only download/upload after 12 midnight
    till 8am i have tried settings in web gui and transmission remote but it still downloads all the time ?
    do i need to edit the settings file or something as well ?
    thanks for any help

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast