Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lags with some sites

Lags with some sites

hi all again,

next question :-)
    i have some lags in my connection.
    but not always and not on all sites.
    one is definitly ebay. but there it's only the part after the signin - the my ebay item works, but after entering info it lags - and con times out.
    no, it's not the ssl/https. on other sites this works just fine e.g. online banking.

but logically it's not the frewall. i did not change the config and anything else is just configured well.
    only the router changed in the whole construct.

is it possible that the router des not send some necessary information in the packet-headers needed by the firewall to react and so the firewall drops the packet?

sure - one solution would be "deinstalling the firewall" (btw it's kerio personal) but i have a girlfriend with an email acount on my machine...imagine what can happen if there is no desktop firewall and the chick just opens an email of her classmate....disaster

so i'm interessted in finding out whats the prob.

any ideas on that?

tia
    mod

Come on

come on guys - your are pro's

any ideas are welcome...just tips for testing.

so far
    mod

well, you could log dropped packets for debugging. Go into the firewall settings, and select log dropped packets.

It will log entries to /tmp/syslog.log.

Then you don't have to speculate about the dropped packets, you can actually see what is being blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz
    well, you could log dropped packets for debugging. Go into the firewall settings, and select log dropped packets.

It will log entries to /tmp/syslog.log.

Then you don't have to speculate about the dropped packets, you can actually see what is being blocked.

i did something else.
    i uploaded the official firmware 1.8.1.9 available on asus.com.tw/blabla :-D
    and now there is NO lag.
    all sites response very quick.

now i will reupload the custom oleg firmware 1.9.2.7 rc3 and check again.

mod

1.9.2.7 3b

hi all,

uploaded the 1.9.2.7 3b - error occurs surfing ebay.de as described before.
    any ideas?

again

hi again,

now i upload all(!) firmwares to locate the one which contains this "error" first.

asus default - works

tested wl500g.dyndns.org versions:
    1.8.1.7-3 - works
    1.9.2.7-1 - works
    1.9.2.7-2 - works
    1.9.2.7-3b - broken
    1.9.2.7-3c - broken

browser:
    i'm using firefox 1.0.1 (just updated a few minutes before performing the tests) and
    desktop firewall:
    kerio personal firewall (freeware version) - d/l the latest release also a few minutes before starting to test.

the funny thing is that when i click the link the browser starts to load something and then just times out
    BUT when i click the link several times again after the first click it works sometimes...but not always

so folks.
    give me a hint what to do next.
    i watched the sys-log in the router but nothing seems to be wrong. all drops packets got dropped reasonable (portscan or so) and the ip's do not belong to the sites i called.

AGAIN: if i shutdown the desktop firewall all works fine.

need help...

???

no ideas?
    oleg you?

are there any BIG must have changes from 1.9.2.7-2 to 1.9.2.7-3c ???
    else i will flash 1.9.2.7-2 and do my smb config as well as my stupid-ftpd config on the shell.

but as i mentioned before i would like find out the prob.

the only thing which might be the reason for the problems is the 'Replaced default ppp/pppoe stuff with ppp-2.4.3'
    any ideas how to test it?

thanks for any tips.

alex

Quote Originally Posted by modnet25
    are there any BIG must have changes from 1.9.2.7-2 to 1.9.2.7-3c ???
    Yes, I've replaced ppp daemon, which could this, but I see no reason for that.

hmmm

ok.
    i don't see anything else which is related to the inet-connection.
    so if version 1.9.2.7-2 works then the pppd is the only thing i could imagine.

i fond out another thing. if i go to uboot.com and then enter my details in the login form in the upper left corner the transmission process starts and then hangs up and ends with a connection timeout.

closing the browser, reopening it and surfing again to uboot.com shows that it worked out correctly. without doing anything i'm logged in.

that means that only the response from uboot.com is not as expected. same applies to 'my ebay' on ebay.de

so i guess it has to be something in pppd.
    i saw this 2 parameters in the options.wan0 file.

lcp-echo-interval <n>
    If this option is given, pppd will send an LCP echo-request frame to the peer every n seconds. Under Linux, the echo-request is sent when no packets have been received from the peer for n seconds. Normally the peer should respond to the echorequest by sending an echo-reply. This option can be used with the lcp-echo-failure option to detect that the peer is no longer connected.
    and

lcp-echo-failure <n>
    If this option is given, pppd will presume the peer to be dead if n LCP echo-requests are sent without receiving a valid LCP echo-reply. If this happens, pppd will terminate the connection. Use of this option requires a non-zero value for the lcp-echo_interval parameter. This option can be used to enable pppd to terminate after the physical connection has been broken (e.g., the modem has hung up) in situations where no hardware modem control lines are available.
    i guess that some sites just don't reply to the lcp request and then pppd presumes the connection to be dead and then causes the lag/error.

another thing might be that my desktop firewall just blocks those lcp packets.

can i give custom values to pppd conf file? then i will check what happens when i increase the values for each of them and what happens when i completly remove them.

does this work simultaneously to stupid-ftpd only by calling pppd manually in the boot script?

tia
    mod

As I wrote before, lcp things does not have anything in common with web sites, LCP messages are used by the PPP peers only, i.e. between your wl500g and your ISP.

You're better try to use tcpdump to figure out the reason for that. It's available as binary here.

update

hi all,

now its f*cking me up totally.
    now also the ftp-packets get lost.

what i did:
    deinstalling firewall -> everything works.
    installing outpost again -> no ftp traffic (only uploads - it's uploading at least 8kb and then breaks off) and the lags.

took of the router and connected direct to adsl modem, outpost firewall enabled --> everything works.

so it must be the construct between any kind of desktop firewall and the router.
    may be some icmp problems?

my prob is that i'm anything else then a linux pro...
    so your help is needed.

what can i do to get rid of the probs or even to figure them out?

thanks in advance

alex

more information?

hi,

if you need more information just ask and i will do my best to bring them.
    any tipp/help is appreciated.

so far
    alex

Try using ZoneAlarm or whatever...

Angry wow

thanks oleg.
    big help

i can't believe that there is no one else here having an equal config...
    so may be someone has the same prob...

anyway.
    gonna search it on my own.

alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast