Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Firmware 2.0.0.6

1. New Firmware 2.0.0.6

it suprises me they actually made a new version
    I hope they updated the wireless drivers tbh..

I already flash it. So far so good... Port forward works better and also upnp. No probs with my pppoe connection. I noticed that there is no option to open telnet to wl500w. Also, the wifi channel selection works properly now. I can not say with confidence that there are changes with previous default firmware because I always use olegs.
    Last edited by siliconmanc; 11-01-2009 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by siliconmanc View Post
    I already flash it. So far so good... Port forward works better and also upnp. No probs with my pppoe connection. I noticed that there is no option to open telnet to wl500w. Also, the wifi channel selection works properly now. I can not say with confidence that there are changes with previous default firmware because I always use olegs.
    yeh, sounds good.
    it's a bit weird they didn't included any changelog
    and I have a dark brown feeling that this is the lastest firmware for the wl500w
    Maybe oleg can find some changes and updates that come in handy for a new oleg firmware

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    yeh, sounds good.
    and I have a dark brown feeling that this is the lastest firmware for the wl500w
    Maybe oleg can find some changes and updates that come in handy for a new oleg firmware
    +1

It's a good thing that after so much time they released a new firmware but after all it's draft n router so I think we should wait.

After a day of testing, the wifi seems to work stable with this firmware at least the 802.11g with wpa/wpa2 aes.
    Last edited by siliconmanc; 12-01-2009 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by siliconmanc View Post
    It's a good thing that after so much time they released a new firmware but after all it's draft n router so I think we should wait.

After a day of testing, the wifi seems to work stable with this firmware at least the 802.11g with wpa/wpa2 aes.
    what do you mean with waiting? N is still draft since the alliance didn't released it yet. the current status is draft 7... while we only have draft 2 products now. the wl-500w is normal draft tho, wich was designed for 270mbits

G always works good for me, but N is a bit weird with the speeds I get, the coverage is very good tho.
    I wonder if they can stop that software interrupt based processes now while tranfserring lots of data with wireless, since that is done over the CPU instead of the wired chips, that do it independently from the cpu.

I think, if the linux kernel manages to get the intel cards working on draft N, I will compile myself a new firmware, and put an intel card in there

EDIT:
    there are actually drivers out: http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/
    still browsing it
    Last edited by wpte; 12-01-2009 at 16:32.

I tried v2.0.0.6 firmware as well. It seems fine except Download Master not working even though I have installed latest Asus Utility v3.4.6.0. When I try to connect with Download Master, it keeps saying Network Error.... Fat32 only 4G...better to use EXT2/3... But I have already formated my harddisk in EXT2 format. I think it still have bugs...

maybe they are also releasing a new download master soon...
    or perhaps the old download master is still installed on the hdd

since I was trying to compile the whole thing for myself, and downloaded the toolchain, I found out the toolchain archive was corrupted, it should be replaced in 2 weeks according to the support employee I spoke to.

The latest Util is now v3.5.7.0. Have u tried yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tc_free2go View Post
    I tried v2.0.0.6 firmware as well. It seems fine except Download Master not working even though I have installed latest Asus Utility v3.4.6.0. When I try to connect with Download Master, it keeps saying Network Error.... Fat32 only 4G...better to use EXT2/3... But I have already formated my harddisk in EXT2 format. I think it still have bugs...

Finally I could use the download master! The last firmware version+ Asus utility is working properly for nearly two weeks.
    I was able to download more than 30 G of usefull stuff since then.
    The only remark I have is that the external drive (a Kingston 32 G G2 flash drive) has to be formatted in EXT2 (Ext3 would not work).
    The PC interface is still buggy and sometimes I have to load the information several times untill I get a message "file already exists" just to make sure that the info has actually been transferred to the router.
    Also, it REALLY takes time to transfer files to the external drive to the PC.
    typically a 700 Mb .avi file would take about 5 minutes to be copied to the PC HD.
    However, I am not sure if this low transfer velocity is caused by the firewall/anti virus installed in the PC.
    Any suggestions?

wow... glad to hear that, but can you confirm the fastest transfer rate that you can achieve with the download master? I am currently using OLEG with rtorrent ipkg. The transfer rate is over 200KB for fast torrent to my 8G USB finger drive. Is it able to match that?

Quote Originally Posted by rodd View Post
    Finally I could use the download master! The last firmware version+ Asus utility is working properly for nearly two weeks.
    I was able to download more than 30 G of usefull stuff since then.
    The only remark I have is that the external drive (a Kingston 32 G G2 flash drive) has to be formatted in EXT2 (Ext3 would not work).
    The PC interface is still buggy and sometimes I have to load the information several times untill I get a message "file already exists" just to make sure that the info has actually been transferred to the router.
    Also, it REALLY takes time to transfer files to the external drive to the PC.
    typically a 700 Mb .avi file would take about 5 minutes to be copied to the PC HD.
    However, I am not sure if this low transfer velocity is caused by the firewall/anti virus installed in the PC.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by snowx; 13-07-2009 at 08:06.

Talking

will there be oleg update for 2.0.0.6 WiFi module?

Quote Originally Posted by snowx View Post
    will there be oleg update for 2.0.0.6 WiFi module?
    the drivers never changed as far as I know.

transfer rates of 200kb/s is not that good on oleg tho, install rtorrent and you might pull up to 700kb/s

the drivers never changed as far as I know.

transfer rates of 200kb/s is not that good on oleg tho, install rtorrent and you might pull up to 700kb/s
    I am already using rtorrent... please detail how to archive 700kb?

Quote Originally Posted by snowx View Post
    I am already using rtorrent... please detail how to archive 700kb?
    uhm...
    fast enough internet
    port forwarded rtorrent (seriously works)
    fast harddrive
    not sure if it really helps, but I got my router clocked at 300mhz as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast