Thread: 1.0.7.8 Log configuration

1.0.7.8 Log configuration

I'm running the latest kfurge 1.0.7.8 firmware and have been since the day he released it. I've recently upgraded my transmission installation to 1.41b5 and all is working tremendously (it's performance is dramatically better than 1.22).

One feature that is now missing from the new webui (clutch) is the up/down/cpu load graph. I've since written a small script that when executed by cron each (say) 5 minutes, adds a line to the system log that can be used by the old webui graphing code.

I've also pulled that graphing code out and periodically generate a new graph within my transmission web area.

What I want to know though is how to stop cron from generating so much output in the system log every time it executes a scheduled command. My log is now 2/3 cron guff, and 1/3 actual data.

With the 1.0.7.8 firmware the log seems to be an in-memory circular buffer, and I can't work out how to configure it. Given it's apparent size, when cron outputs so much, the actual lifespan of the log is shortened somewhat.

Any ideas?

Code:
    #!opt/bin/bash
    #
    # Startup script for syslog
    #
    PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

NAME=syslogd
    DAEMON=/sbin/$NAME
    LOGFILE=syslog.log
    KERNLOGFILE=kern.log
    LOG_OLD=/tmp
    LOG_NEW=/opt/var/log

# Copy old syslog and create symlink to new
    if [ ! -L $LOG_OLD/$LOGFILE ]; then
      cat $LOG_OLD/$LOGFILE >> $LOG_NEW/$LOGFILE
      mv $LOG_OLD/$LOGFILE $LOG_NEW/$KERNLOGFILE
      ln -s $LOG_NEW/$LOGFILE $LOG_OLD/$LOGFILE
    fi

[ -n "`pidof $NAME`" ] && killall $NAME 2> /dev/null

$DAEMON -m 0 -O "$LOG_NEW/$LOGFILE" 

logger -t $NAME "restarted."
    kill ur syslog and run with new configuration
    from rc.local
    this code from my script.
    WL-700GE,rtorrent,amule, mldonkey, ïðîøèâêà kfurge
    ÂÑÅ íà âûáîðû !
    Äëÿ íîâè÷êîâ è ëåíèâûõ

thats a start

sonic, thanks for that.
    Having executed that script I get a log file that (presumably) grows without limit. It also has the side effect of preventing logread from working (no circular buffer).

Having experimented a bit now, I see that if I run:

syslogd -m 0 -R 255.255.255.255

I get a circular log as shipped, no mark messages (a good thing it seems), but still the cron guff.

I suspect that if I can work out a valid syslog.conf file to disable cron logging, then I can then add the "-c" option to the command to load that configuration. I haven't found an existing configuration file, so I presume it's running with defaults (kfurge?).

Does anyone know what the "-R 255.255.255.255" does? The various online man pages make no mention of a "-R" option.

Thanks

eznet

Quote Originally Posted by eznet View Post
    sonic, thanks for that.
    Having executed that script I get a log file that (presumably) grows without limit. It also has the side effect of preventing logread from working (no circular buffer).

Having experimented a bit now, I see that if I run:

syslogd -m 0 -R 255.255.255.255

I get a circular log as shipped, no mark messages (a good thing it seems), but still the cron guff.

I suspect that if I can work out a valid syslog.conf file to disable cron logging, then I can then add the "-c" option to the command to load that configuration. I haven't found an existing configuration file, so I presume it's running with defaults (kfurge?).

Does anyone know what the "-R 255.255.255.255" does? The various online man pages make no mention of a "-R" option.

Thanks

eznet
    -R
    allow message from remote host
    WL-700GE,rtorrent,amule, mldonkey, ïðîøèâêà kfurge
    ÂÑÅ íà âûáîðû !
    Äëÿ íîâè÷êîâ è ëåíèâûõ

-R Thanks

Thanks again sonic. I found a man page also that not only agrees with you, but also points out that the version of syslogd we're using (busybox) doesn't support a conf file.

I note that the version of busybox in /bin is 1.0 whilst /opt/bin has 1.9.0, and the options differ. Will play with this to see what I can do.

I don't really want to lose the logread command though as the routers webui uses it.

Thanks

eznet