Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN inside the router

VPN inside the router

Let's bring up this question again. Is it possible to create a VPN solution in the router. It looks like there are several PPTP solutions available for Linux but I'm not sure if it will fit in.

As far as I could see this is not in the latest custom from Oleg. I'm running SSH with tunneling now but I would like to try a full blown connection.

Regards,
    Feico.

Quote Originally Posted by Feico de Boer
    Let's bring up this question again. Is it possible to create a VPN solution in the router. It looks like there are several PPTP solutions available for Linux but I'm not sure if it will fit in.

As far as I could see this is not in the latest custom from Oleg. I'm running SSH with tunneling now but I would like to try a full blown connection.
    It is definitely possible. It's not difficult to compile to poptop server and add it to the custom firmware but the subsequent problem will be creating the web configuraiton on it. So it is not a matter of possible or not, it is a matter of who wants to tie the ring on the neck of the cat.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mctiew
    It is definitely possible. It's not difficult to compile to poptop server and add it to the custom firmware but the subsequent problem will be creating the web configuraiton on it. So it is not a matter of possible or not, it is a matter of who wants to tie the ring on the neck of the cat.

Cheers
    The SSH stuff has no web interface as well. Actually I don't mind that it would be command line stuff only. Save the real goodies for the experts. ;-)

Anyway, maybe it is time to install that tool chain to compile myself. To bad I don't have a Linux box available and VMware is $189.

no linux?
    try knoppix -> www.knoppix.com
    it's a live cd...no install needed
    vmware-> you can get a 30d trial if you register

or try colinux, you can compile in your linux box while running windows.
    And the best part... its free & no need to reboot, and in some cases faster than vmware

Quote Originally Posted by erik_bies
    or try colinux, you can compile in your linux box while running windows.
    And the best part... its free & no need to reboot, and in some cases faster than vmware
    Thanks for the pointer. This coLinux thing seems to be very interesting and I will give it a try.

Thanks for the pointer. This coLinux thing seems to be very interesting and I will give it a try.
    This thing actually seems to work. After installing with the Debian root package, a dist-upgrade and serveral extra packages, I finally got something compiling. Overall needing more than 2 GB of storage out of 4 GB allocated to get here.

However, the compile seems to break on something introduced in the 3c release. Is the patch incorrect or do I need to add the 7zip stuff manually? Af far as I could see I followed all steps needed to get to this point. The referenced directory is not on my system.

I used:
    GPL_1927.zip
    wl500g-1.9.2.7-3c.tar.gz

Error:
    make -C /asus/broadcom/src/lzma/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Lib/
    make: *** /asus/broadcom/src/lzma/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Lib/: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [package-WL500g] Error 2

I used:
    GPL_1927.zip
    wl500g-1.9.2.7-3c.tar.gz

Error:
    make -C /asus/broadcom/src/lzma/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Lib/
    make: *** /asus/broadcom/src/lzma/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Lib/: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [package-WL500g] Error 2
    You need to do a make lzma or something from the patch folder.

Cheers

You need to do a make lzma or something from the patch folder.

Cheers
    Ok, unzip is missing, guess that needs another package. ;-)

Thanks.

I've got a VPN running
    I'm using the CIPE protocol for it, and I'm finishing off some things and cleaning up the code and I'll upload things in a couple of days.

Ok, unzip is missing, guess that needs another package. ;-)

Thanks.
    And the last package to install was the zlib development one. After this the lzma stuff compiled and ... voila a *.trx file.

Now one thing, this file differs in size from Oleg's version. Is this normal because my development environment is different or is there a change I messed up somewhere.

I don't want to wreck my routed due to a bad firmware.

What is the trick to reconfigure, clean and compile everything again. Just a 'make clean' does not seem to be enough. Also I found a config file in the wl500* directory, but is this the right one to edit.

For a start I would like to add the st680 webcam driver (I happen to have one with that chipset).

Now one thing, this file differs in size from Oleg's version. Is this normal because my development environment is different or is there a change I messed up somewhere.

I don't want to wreck my routed due to a bad firmware.
    I have the same concern as you are, and I asked the same question some time back, and there is no answer. Actually I tend to think now :-

1. Yes, there is indeed a difference. But I can't say if the difference is significant.

2. Even when the case of exact same source file, different compile will still produce different trx file (???) . There is no way to ensure two different compiles produces the same trx (???).

Changes in the file system are usually not so worrying because you could still use oleg's kernel and incorporate you own file system into it, say using the USB. But if you have to change the kernel, that's when I get most nervous about.

No solution so far.

Cheers

What is the trick to reconfigure, clean and compile everything again. Just a 'make clean' does not seem to be enough. Also I found a config file in the wl500* directory, but is this the right one to edit.

For a start I would like to add the st680 webcam driver (I happen to have one with that chipset).
    This is what I do. I would go to /root/broadcom/src/linux/linux and do this :-

# cp .config oldconfig
    # make mrproper
    # cp oldconfig .config
    # vi .config
    # make dep

I am not sure if this is THE right way.

Cheers

This is what I do. I would go to /root/broadcom/src/linux/linux and do this :-

# cp .config oldconfig
    # make mrproper
    # cp oldconfig .config
    # vi .config
    # make dep

I am not sure if this is THE right way.
    Missed one step, before make dep, I would do a make oldconfig.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast