Thread: How to reset the password from command line ?

How to reset the password from command line ?

Hi

I had setup SSH access and everything seems normal. I setup an externel HDD to mount as /opt and had been using it to install new applications via ipkg. I restarted the system and now for some reason I can't login via the web interface anymore.

I was wondering how does one reset the web interface password from command line ? I still have access to the router via SSH. I am using Oleg's formware on a WL500W.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MagicFab; 28-12-2008 at 15:43. Reason: added details

uhm... the password for the webinterface is the same as for ssh, are you sure you have the right port or something?

I believe you need adduser
    ipkg install adduser
    then you can issue the command
    passwd
    it will change the password of the current user
    it works for me while I'm root, not sure if it will work when your name is admin

Ich habe das gleiche Problem!

Hallo ihr,

ich habe mir gestern für meinen geplanten FTP-server einen Dyndns Zugang besorgt und nachdem ich alles eingerichtet hatte und über meine URL (für mich überaschender Weise da ich kein wirklicher Experte bin) direkt auf das Webinterface zugreifen konnte, hatte ich etwas Angst um meine Passwortsicherheit und habe es durch ein längeres ersetzt. So lang, daß es sogar über die Eingabebox hinausging.
    Nach dem obligatorischen Neustart konnte ich aber nun nicht mehr auf das Webinterface zugreifen. Ich habe schon versucht es verkürzt, mit Feststelltaste etc. pp einzugeben - aber kein Erfolg.
    Nun hab ich dank Olegs firmware und dank der vorzüglichen Anleitung hier im Forum aber noch einen Zugang mittels ssh (mit rsa-key) und darüber mittels passwd und passwd admin und anschliessendem Save&Reboot versucht, das Passwort zurückzusetzen, geändert hat sich aber leider nichts.
    Auch mehrere Versuche und Strom aus haben nichts gebracht...

Bitte - hat einer von Euch oder irgend ein Leser dieses Threads Erfolg gehabt, sein Passwort über die ssh-Verbindung zu ändern und kann mir auf die Sprünge helfen, was ich noch tun kann?
    Ich würde so ungern alles noch einmal aufsetzen, das ganze hat bis gestern abend schon so wunderbar funktioniert!

Vielen Dank und einen lieben Gruß an Euch alle,

Nix

Damn, this is to early for me -

didn' t halfway recognize this thread is in english.

Well, hello all of you -

what i tried to explain in my mother tongue is, that i did change my passwd via webinterface after registration at Dyndns to have a better/longer one, because i wasn't aware of the fact, that the webinterface itself is directly exposed to the net.
    It was possibly to long btw., but after the obligatory reboot procedure i haven't been able to access the router via webinterface anymore. I don't know what went wrong, but obviously i have mistyped it two times the same way or whatever, but all my exhaustively repeated attempts in various imagable right and erranous ways did miserably fail.

It happens that i still have access to my WL500W Box via ssh, thanks to the excellent tutorials here in the forum.(Thanks to all of you involved in this, btw. - fantastic work!!)
    So i tried also to reset the damn login via 'passwd' and 'passwd admin', including Save&reboot of course, but also failed. Now, im missing some further ideas - i really do not want to repeat all the setup from scratch again, i simply don't have the time for this and all was working so fine already.

Please, can anyone of you give me a hint what i could try to solve this?

Thank you so much in advance and all best regards,

Nix
    Last edited by Nixblicker; 23-01-2009 at 08:12. Reason: soy estupido y cansado tambien

perform from command line:
    PHP Code:
    nvram get http_passwd 
    to read current setting and:
    PHP Code:
    nvram set http_passwd="XXX" 
    to set it. After setting save with:
    PHP Code:
    nvram commit 

Problem solved - Thank you so much!

Thank you very much, al - that did the trick.
    You saved my day!

Cheers, Nix