Thread: pom patching kernel and iptables

pom patching kernel and iptables

What is the right way to patch the kernel and iptables to incude additional features and capabilities ? Will this be the right way :-

1. Download the latest or the stable patch-o-matic-ng.
    2. ./run.me ...... to patch iptables source and kernel source.
    3. compile

Cheers.

you do not need to patch iptables (besides of compiling thing), and yes, you should patch your kernel if you want to use newer iptables.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    you do not need to patch iptables (besides of compiling thing), and yes, you should patch your kernel if you want to use newer iptables.
    Thanks. Anyway I managed to patch the kernel ( I am not sure if iptables is patched, but the 'runme' requires the iptables source path to be given too ) using an older patch-o-matic distribution. Newever patch-o-matic refused to apply on the older kernel ( 2-4-20 ).

Btw, is it possible to upgrade the kernel to a newer one or we have to wait for broadcom or asus to do it ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mctiew
    Thanks. Anyway I managed to patch the kernel ( I am not sure if iptables is patched, but the 'runme' requires the iptables source path to be given too ) using an older patch-o-matic distribution. Newever patch-o-matic refused to apply on the older kernel ( 2-4-20 ).

Btw, is it possible to upgrade the kernel to a newer one or we have to wait for broadcom or asus to do it ?

Cheers
    I have interest in all of this... Maybe we can work together to make this work.

I've found the newest patch-o-matic-ng can apply--what has problems is trying to apply patches like connlimit when iplimit is already applied (I think) or trying to apply certain patches that use comments as a resource to find locations to make modifications. ASUS/broadcom was kind enough (this is very much sarcasm) to remove or shorten most important comment lines, which, in my opinion, is the main reason that upgrading the kernel has been close to impossible. Plus, they made some more stupid and ridiculous changes--you know, like rewriting a section of code to make it all in one line but still do the exact same thing (exactly, and compile to the same thing too--or very close to it).

Anyway, I've had problems in all of my related endeavors. Upgrading to iptables 1.3.1 is no problem, and upgrading stuff like autofw is simple enough, but when I do patches, the router will just start up and keep rebooting basically (same with an attempted upgrade to 2.4.21, but there are a bunch of failures there). I wonder if it has anything to do with trying to insmod stuff like ip_nat_starcraft and it's newly incompatible or something.

If you're still interested in upgrading/patching the kernel just as a general upgrade or with patch-o-matic-ng (the stuff uploaded every day but no longer "supported"), I'll help how I can.

Sometimes I think we should just switch to openWRT with latest kernel and start adding in/converting stuff from there (though that's not really possible with the stuff we have no source for I take it).