Thread: Intense HDD activity even when not using the router?

Intense HDD activity even when not using the router?

hi,

since i few days ive noticed that the hdd in my wl700ge is quite active even if noone is using it (i can hear it at night when i try to sleep).

the noise is just like when a hdd reads/writes.

im running the kfurge 1.0.7.8 fw (at least i think so.. where does it tell me? i do have the mldonkey dir).

i installed the kfurge as is and have disbled mldonkey and enabled spindown (at least i think i have i used thoe nvram commands.. ).

i have ft running with password and wlan with mac filtering but no encryption.

so what is it that makes my hdd work so hard all the time? the noise is roughly every 2 minutes for a few seconds.

I have never used kfurge 1.0.7.8 firmware, but I think this has something to do with the filesystem that you use. It looks like you are using a journaling filesystem like ext3, where it needs to regularly update its jounaling data. Do you know what kind of filesystem you use?

If you are annoyed by the noise and don't care about the recoverability of the hard disk, you can just switch to a non journaling filesystem like ext2. Or if you use ext3, you can extend the "commit" time by adding "commit=<a number is second unit>" into your /etc/fstab. That is actually a quite generic configuration for Linux, so I am not sure if you could do that on your router with that firmware.

I hope that helps.

Anto