Thread: Virtual Server - can't redirect port

Virtual Server - can't redirect port

Hi,

I own a WL-500gP router, which still has the original firmware installed.

I'm trying to create a virtual server that forwards incoming traffic from a specific public port to a local port which is different from the public one.

Here's the Virtual Server settings:

Port Range | Local IP | Local Port | Protocol
    3399 | 192.168.0.1 | 3389 | TCP

What I want to do is to be able to connect via RDP to the 3399 port, which in turn redirects the connection to the original 3389 port on the accessed computer.

With the current setting I can't connect whatsoever. What is the problem here?

should be ok, except for the IP you filled in I guess...
    is that your pc or routers ip adress?
    you have to fill in the ip of the device that is supposed to receive the packages.

anyway, also check out your firewall settings, I tought it was set on block nat standart, you might need to change that

Hi,

The 192.168.0.1 is my computer's IP address. The router is set with the 192.168.0.249 address.

About the firewall, are you refering to the router's firewall? I can't see any setting that could prevent the 3399 port from being reached from outside. Besides that, I already have a few virtual servers setup and I never fiddled with the router's firewall.

Is there anyone that can help me out on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by nfh View Post
    well... I dunno, since the standart fw has issues with firewall and portforwarding, at least... it completely doesnt work for me...
    Also in oleg this portforwarding doesnt work completely always, but the post-firewall file just portforwards anything you want, so in the end you always get something working.

Quote Originally Posted by nfh View Post
    If you have port forwarding active but wrong rules in the firewall, the packets will be dropped. For instance, if the policy of the WANtoLAN filter is DROP and not rule is added to the firewall all WAN packets that reaches port 3399 will be DROPped.

Port forwading works for me to its excel.
    Last edited by Tamadite; 08-12-2008 at 21:32.

I have the WAN-to-LAN filter disabled, so I think that can't be the source of this problem.

The most strange thing is that if I create a virtual server which has the same number for both port range and local port, it works.

What I'm trying to do is to open the remote desktop on two computers that I have at home.

Problem solved, and I feel stupid .

My main PC always had the 192.168.0.1 IP. A few months ago I had to change the motherboard (thus the built-in network adapter was also changed), so the MAC address of the built-in network adapter changed. Because of that my main PC was getting a new IP from the IP pool and not the static-dhcp IP that I had setup.