Thread: 1TB in your WL-700gE?

1TB in your WL-700gE?

I just installed a 1TB drive in my WL-700gE and it works like a charm.
    Since such large drives are difficult to come by in PATA, I ended up using an adapter (I used a "Sabrent IDE Ultra ATA-100/133 to Serial ATA (SATA) Port Mini Converter", http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...086&CatId=1455). I've had to cut some of the shielding to make room for the adapter, and it pushes the top-cover a bit, but all in all, it fits OK and it works just fine.
    I used a WD10EACS drive because it's the lowest-consumption I could find, survives many more spin-up/spin-down than most 3.5 drives, and it also happens to be the quietest drive there is nowadays.

can you explain what you did wit hthe hdd so that it works and how you got the fw from the routers old hdd to the new one? in windows?

Quote Originally Posted by eos View Post
    can you explain what you did with the hdd so that it works and how you got the fw from the routers old hdd to the new one? in windows?
    Don't know about Windows, but from GNU/Linux, it was fairly straightforward. I just took the old drive out, connected it to my desktop, along with the new drive, copied the whole drive "dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sdb", then I grew the new drive's last partition to fill the extra space, using `gparted'.

Finally, I put the new drive together with the SATA->PATA adapter in the WL-700gE and that was it.
    If it matters, I'm running OpenWRT on the WL-700gE, but I think the same procedure would work just fine with ASUS's or kfurge's.

Max 1.5 TB?

Hi, it's just lurking somewhere in my head that the maximum storage the Asus can handle is 1.5 TB.

But, does this mean that you can't add a 1TB drive via USB to make a copy, or to define it as the second disk in your raid setup?

To be at the safe side I tend to upgrade to a Max. 750 GB internal drive, but maybe I'm wrong.

Monnier, I can imagine that you don't have a second 1TB drive at hand to test this, but if someone could address this issue, that would be fine.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Hi, it's just lurking somewhere in my head that the maximum storage the Asus can handle is 1.5 TB.
    There may be such a limit for the Asus firmware (sounds odd, tho possible).
    But I'm using OpenWRT so any limit would just come from the Linux kernel and filesystem. The `ext3' has some limits that aren't too far off (somewhere around 4TB IIRC), but 1.5TB doesn't sound like any limit I know. In any case you should be able to use about as many USB drives as you want, and as large as you want. Basically if it works on your desktop, it should work on your WL-700gE.