Thread: WLAN problem

WLAN problem

Hi all!

I've got a big problem with my WL500g. Sometimes the WLAN interface cannot be reached. To be more exact, I have to reboot my router every day, because I cannot connect it. After reboot everything works fine for some hours, but next day I have to reboot router again. I use two computers to connect to router, one with intel 2200 miniPCI WLAN card (54b/g) and another with Asus WL-130b (11b). I tried several different firmwares (ASUS originals only) and several different settings because I've read somewhere that Auto rate mode is a bit crappy. I also tried to increase the radio power, but it didn't help. Now I use 1.9.2.7 with 11b only and fixed 1 Mbit base rate, but it requires reboot again and again. The device is 3 month old and the problem exists for the couple of last weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    /tomika

PS.: Sorry for my poor english.
    PS2.: I've almost forgot, I use WPA-PSK security only.
    Last edited by tomika; 15-02-2005 at 17:10.

Have you tried using WEP?

I used WEP earlier but a friend of mine showed me a little prog downloaded from some russian source that cracked WEP after sniffing the WLAN communication about half an hour. Then I changed to WPA. WPA also seemed to work for a while. I would be really disappointed if I had to change back to WEP.
    The truth is that the connection process fails somewhere around the authentication, because it prompts me for password then it can't continue. But I must say that the router is discovered hardly then. I mean I have to make XP search for available wireless networks several times before it finds my router. Nowadays I know I won't be able to connect when it happens. So I take tour downstairs and reboot WL500g.

/tomika
    Last edited by tomika; 16-02-2005 at 06:28.

Well, I've got ambigous feelings. I'm a bit disappointed because I couldn't find any help for my problem, but I'm happy because my problem seems to be gone recently.
    I don't know if anybody interested, but I write down that I changed the WLAN channel from auto to fix 1 and set a period of time (in the middle of the night) when the WLAN interface of the router is disabled. I don't know which one helped but the I haven't got any problem with connecting to my router in the past few days and I'm happy with it. I'm not brave enough to change any of these settings.
    If something goes wrong, I'll be back again.

Good luck for you all.

/tomika