Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wl-500g deluxe problems

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    2) This unit uses single ethernet switch for both WAN and LAN ports, which is integrated to the CPU. The huge problem is that as of bootloader version 1.33 this switch remains in the unconfigured state until firmware is loaded (this tooks some time) and during this phase this box acts as dumb switch. This means, that WAN and LAN networks are NOT separated. This could lead to several problems:
    a) if you use DHCP for both WAN connection and LAN and configured wl500g deluxe with cloned MAC address, your internal PC with that address could grab incorrect (external) IP address and other settings from the EXTERNAL DHCP server, causing lost of connectivity then wl500g deluxe finally boots;
    Do you mean, turning on the box -> you have at least eth0-2?
    And an unconfigured WAN-IF and br0 (until config read from nvram)?

Flashing FW with a recompiled one...do you recompile/flash that bootloader too or is it a seperate sw?

Quote Originally Posted by majx
    Do you mean, turning on the box -> you have at least eth0-2?
    And an unconfigured WAN-IF and br0 (until config read from nvram)?
    I'm talking of physical interfaces, not their logical names.

Flashing FW with a recompiled one...do you recompile/flash that bootloader too or is it a seperate sw?
    This is a separate part with closed sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    This is a separate part with closed sources.
    But in general it's a linux
    in this case with existing boot-line-up ->
    bootloader starts kernel & init (and rc-scripts) witch are all hardcoded as c-src. changing that srs-es to disable all NIC-hw until boot suceeds and then enabling it would make it at least a bit more secure...

Quote Originally Posted by majx
    But in general it's a linux
    in this case with existing boot-line-up ->
    bootloader starts kernel & init (and rc-scripts) witch are all hardcoded as c-src. changing that srs-es to disable all NIC-hw until boot suceeds and then enabling it would make it at least a bit more secure...
    The time spent in the bootloader and loading kernel is enough to break the things. I do not want to "workaround" bootloader bugs, they should be fixed by ASUS and existing units should be replaced/upgraded or whatever.

Bad news
    The wl500g deluxe is just available in france today since a few hours http://www.materiel.net/details_WL-500gDeluxe.html
    I was buying one unit when I have decided to check the latest news on the forum
    Oleg have you got any answer from asus about this problem ?
    Last edited by msp; 14-02-2005 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by msp
    Bad news
    The wl500g deluxe is just available in france today since a few hours http://www.materiel.net/details_WL-500gDeluxe.html
    I was buying one unit when I have decided to check the latest news on the forum
    Oleg have you got any answer from asus about this problem ?
    Well, I've submitted this to Asus Russia Tech Support, but have not got any answer yet.

Also, if you use pppoe connection, then this issue should not affect you too much.

Any news from Asus on this issue?

Oleg, you mentioned that there is no JTAG port on the 500gx. Do you know where to find the JTAG connections, so that one can "add" a JTAG port to the device?

Is it possible to flash the bootloader for end users, or must Asus replace the hole unit to change/upgrade the bootloader?

Quote Originally Posted by lexi
    Any news from Asus on this issue?
    According to ASUS Russia, ASUS contacted Broadcom on this issue.
    Oleg, you mentioned that there is no JTAG port on the 500gx. Do you know where to find the JTAG connections, so that one can "add" a JTAG port to the device?
    Nope. I've no idea.
    Is it possible to flash the bootloader for end users, or must Asus replace the hole unit to change/upgrade the bootloader?
    Yes, this is possible, but requires small modification to firmware to allow writing to this area.

Question

hi to all,
    I bought a WL-500g Deluxe and due to a problem with FTP server configuration I found this site. I have read Oleg's warning and I'm worried. I would have to give it back? Oleg says that Asus sent an update to him that it fixes the problems but is possible to update bootloader only via software? When it will be available for all?
    Last edited by hEiFoN; 06-03-2005 at 02:00.

Just wait. I need some time to prepare update. But most likely you're not affected at all.

Thanks Oleg, may be that you haven't understood me because I didn't explain it very well (I have bad English ). I tried to say that I have two days to return the WL-500gx to shop and I would like to know what is better option (in security themes):
    - To change the WL-500gx to WL-500g
    - Not to return it and to update bootloader.

And only one more question: Why Asus don't release update officially?

Thanks a lot.
    Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by hEiFoN
    - Not to return it and to update bootloader.
    This one.

And only one more question: Why Asus don't release update officially?
    I've no idea.

To upgrade your unit you will need a PC with one ethernet adapter only, so if you've more than one adapter (including wireless, ieee1394 or whatever) please disable it. You need to configure your adapter with manual IP. Consider using 192.168.1.2 as an IP address and an IP mask of 255.255.255.0. Once you've configured your adapter follow next step
    In my NIC stands also Gateway and DNS on 192.16.1.1 must that remove? My cable modem must also remove? Do the bootloader have with utility Eng_1380 done?

Gerard

Oleg says:
    DO NOT TRY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE WITH THE UNITS OTHER THAN WL-500g Deluxe RETAIL UNITS.
    But how to know wether it is RETAIL or non-RETAIL unit?

I have just ordered one hier - https://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/...r&Level3=#Asus (and it seems that only wl-500g is retail, but not the DELUXE unit).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kiewer
    Oleg says:

But how to know wether it is RETAIL or non-RETAIL unit?

I have just ordered one hier - https://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/...r&Level3=#Asus (and it seems that only wl-500g is retail, but not the DELUXE unit).

Thanks.
    where are you quoting this from?
    DO NOT TRY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE WITH THE UNITS OTHER THAN WL-500g Deluxe RETAIL UNITS.
    anyway WL500g Deluxe = retail when it is delivered in a box, also never seen OEM WL500g's/Deluxes

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast