View Poll Results: Have you tried new 1.9.2.7 audio features?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're useless

47 33.10%
  • They never worked for me, but I would like to use them

12 8.45%
  • Works fine for me

32 22.54%
  • Have no idea about these features

51 35.92%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.9.2.7 Audio features

1.9.2.7 Audio features

Well, I'm wonder if someone here uses new Audio "features" added with the 1.9.2.7 firmware. Do we need this?

unneded?

I removed both audio and video modules from the linux-src
    (via make menuconfig)

for me it's ok

It is the most useless feature I have seen so far. I wonder if there are people that hook up a webcam to it or usb speakers anyways.

Would be nice to free up the memory to make room for something useful.

Well, I think ASUS should concentrate on fixing existing bugs rather than add new "features", which are totally useless for router box.

I agree, like hooking up usb speakers will help sell this thing because it has got a unique selling point.

Personally I don't think there is a single soul on earth that wanted to hook up speakers to an access point / router in the first place.

And you are totally right about fixing bugs first before putting in new features. Get all the current things running nicely first, and once that is done, develop something useful for it.

Like ip6 support for it, or vpn services

asus vs. "homemade"

leave asus-guys working...they create their firmware for end-users.

It think it's better to patch their sources to remove uneeded tools to be able to add more needed ones.
    (btw, why are iptables patched to remove "multiport"?)

In the case, somebody wants to compile them in...he will be provided with input on how to do it.

Keep it small, keep it simple

Well, I'm using the webcam on daily basis, but using other pwc.o and using palantir. Audio could be usefull for someone with the right speakers, but this should be a remote part of the router users.
    So audio is useless, video is not (in fact, it was a selling point for me).

Im on Hugos line, cam is good, audio is less.
    I use two 500g in WDS mode to get a link between two buildings and the support for camera is a superb function for me todo supervising off the buildings.

This exacltly the thing I wanted to make clear in the topic "features or stability"

I think there are much more important things to fix that only introduce features that look nice on the package.

I'll second Hugo - video is useful, audio is useless (for me and for now )

regards,
    Roofcat

grin,

never thought people actually would use the webcam feature.

Would be nice if you could switch off "features" if you don't want to use so if you don't use that particular feature its drivers and software don't take up memory.

Streaming client is useless, streaming server: please!

Well, I think the designers have made the wrong design decision. It would be great if I would be able to connect and FM tuner, MP3 jukebox or other audio sources to the unit and be able to listen to the music via the Internet or Wifi. I see absolutely no use for a streaming audio client on the WL500G, but I would love to have streaming audio server capability on the wl500g.

Peter

Imagine the following scenario:

You have to monitor a factory storage room, and make sure nobody "borrows" stuff.
    So, you place a WL500G in client mode, a USB webcam and a usb speaker... on the ceiling of the room.
    When the router detects motion, you get notified in your pc, and if needed you can let people know that you have an eye on them...
    (it can even be a recorded message.. saying "your actions are beying recorded...")

For this kind of aplications, the audio features are welcome.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

Quote Originally Posted by gwl
    (it can even be a recorded message.. saying "your actions are beying recorded...")
    It must be a recorded message, since the client is a Windows Media Player plugin.

Also I think the audio feature is pretty useless. It would have more use if a virtual driver would be installed, so the speakers can be used from any application (or just another media player ), but then I won't use it either, because I've got a sound card in my computer (cool huh, guess you don't have one )

Squeezebox?

I guest they want to make their device work as much like a Squeezebox? At least that would interest me, becoz I want to own such a similiar devices for a long time. I will try it when I got a USB audio device, if it is fine, I hope i can get a SlimServer's client running on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast