Thread: Which version of FW most stable?

Which version of FW most stable?

I would like to be able to use both the printer port and USB top support printers. Soon i would like to use samba. The other advanced features can be added later. What version of FW would be the most stable.

I have a Desktop cabled and a laptop (wireless), both win xp pro, connected to a wl-500g and out to a cable modem.

If you want to use both ports to hook up printers, you have to use a customized firmware because stock firmware don't allow using both ports at the same time.

I use 1.9.7.3c from oleg, and that one works fine in my setting. Have a browse in the firmware area of this forum, and have a read about all different versions and what characteristics the different version have.

It is not possible to say this version is the most stable, because it depends on what kind of internet connection you have and what hardware you use with it.

Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if any were final or approved versions. They all seem to be development versions. If that is the case, so be it. I just wondered if there was consensus recommendation.

Well yes, all custom firmwares are 'development' versions: There is no corporate backing to these firmwares. But you can also say this is true for Asus firmwares, a newer firmware does not mean less bugs!

Generally you can say though: The custom firmwares are better then the Asus ones (Sorry Asus). Especially when the custom build number reaches higher numbers they will be well balanced.

So I can recommend you 1.9.7.3c from Oleg if you want latest features, if you just want a dead-stable firmware you also might want to try 1.7.5.9-5 also from Oleg.