Thread: interesting link

interesting link

I found the website of linux from scratch
    http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

on this site they have a free book wich explains how to build a cross compiled os
    as far as I can see, its not yet written for mipsel, but i guess it'll be possible to create your own linux from scratch

I always liked the idea of a complete linux on an asus router, since olegs firmware isn't going that far, and there are a lot of limitations
    might come handy of one of my future projects

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post

I always liked the idea of a complete linux on an asus router, since olegs firmware isn't going that far, and there are a lot of limitations
    eehmmm - which limitations?

Anyway, I go along with you, if you meant an updated (missing) howto for a complete cross compiling evironment. There are many howtos out there, non of all the stuff worked for me - one of the main problem is the missing documentation of hardware and software. Sometimes it's more as hard to find just a regular wiki or howto. And it really hurts, that some software needs to be recompiled when updating olegs fw.
    Hence, what I would suggest is a documentation project, it would revalue Olegs efforts to build a better fw for our beloved asus. Well, if such project would revive, I would like to play a part of it - at least my two cents.

I'm absolutely convinced, that a pretty good documentation would allow to start further development, as well as supporting Olegs efforts to change to kernel 2.6 - which is a pretty hard job.
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Oleg wants to port the firmware to kernel 2.6?
    This would be great

Quote Originally Posted by thE_29 View Post
    Oleg wants to port the firmware to kernel 2.6?
    This would be great
    as far as I know, oleg doesn't want to do that...
    I do want to try it out, but some things have to be left out because the mipsel architecture doesnt support everything that well.
    maybe I also want to try to implement the new EXT4 wich is going to be released soon

dunno yet, got some ideas, the way it should work, in a way you won't need to update firmware anymore.

but I still get some linux for embedded devices next year of my education, computer science, maybe i can make something usefull with it