Thread: A few questions

A few questions

I have some basic questions :-

1) I login to the system using telnet and do a 'df', there is only one file system and it has been used 100%. When files are created, where they are stored ?

What is the file system organization ?

2) Excluding the usb storage, I supposed the 4M nvram is the total permanent space available for keep non-volatile data ( firmware and web configuration data ).

Does that mean the we should never make a firmware which will take up the entire 4 M ? What is the minimum size we have to allocate for the (web) configuration data ?

3) If I want to create additional scripts for it to run upon booting, where to insert it in ?

4) On the wl500gx that I have, it seems eth0 is the WAN, br0 is the LAN ( which is the bridged between eth1 and eth0.1 ).

If the WAN/LAN ports are all on the same ethernet controller, what makes the WAN port a wan port ? Is there a designation for the software to identify the ports ? Why can't it work if I plug my LAN cable into the WAN port ? Won't it work if I plug the ADSL modem into one of the LAN ports?

5) It seems that iproute2 has been compiled but it was never included in the firmware. Is it "by-design" ( because there is no need to use it so far ) or is it a "missed-out" ?

Thanks for your atttention.

Quote Originally Posted by mctiew
    1) I login to the system using telnet and do a 'df', there is only one file system and it has been used 100%. When files are created, where they are stored ?
    They're stored in the ramfs, and it's size changes dynamically.

What is the file system organization ?
    Type mount

2) Excluding the usb storage, I supposed the 4M nvram is the total permanent space available for keep non-volatile data ( firmware and web configuration data ).

Does that mean the we should never make a firmware which will take up the entire 4 M ? What is the minimum size we have to allocate for the (web) configuration data ?
    nvram is just a 64k part of the 4M flash. Logically this flash is divided to 4 partitions: bootloader (256k), linux + root filesystem (up to 0x3a0000 bytes) + unused (64k), nvram (64k). In the custom firmwares unused space is used for flashfs.

3) If I want to create additional scripts for it to run upon booting, where to insert it in ?
    If you mean custom firmwares - read this page http://oleg.wl500g.info. If you mean stock firmwares - place them on the usb drive.
    4) On the wl500gx that I have, it seems eth0 is the WAN, br0 is the LAN ( which is the bridged between eth1 and eth0.1 ).

If the WAN/LAN ports are all on the same ethernet controller, what makes the WAN port a wan port ? Is there a designation for the software to identify the ports ? Why can't it work if I plug my LAN cable into the WAN port ? Won't it work if I plug the ADSL modem into one of the LAN ports?
    This device uses VLAN and all eth0 things are infact VLAN ports. vconfig is used for controlling this.
    5) It seems that iproute2 has been compiled but it was never included in the firmware. Is it "by-design" ( because there is no need to use it so far ) or is it a "missed-out" ?
    the only part is used is tc, which is included in firmware. ip was not included.