Thread: Pocket PC

Pocket PC

Anyone using the WL-HDD with his Wifi Pocket PC?

I have a Pocket PC with WiFi build-in.
    I use the WL-HDD2.5 as a stand-alone network device; no PC or AP connected, just the PPC and the Asus and a power supply.
    It works fine, as long as I share all my partitions on the WL-HDD disk.
    When I assign a username and password to one of the paritions, and I want to access this partition with my PPC, I am asked for a password - only a password, no username-field - but none of the passwords I defined in the userlist when setting up the WL-HDD partition for not sharing works.

Anyone a hint?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy

I use the WL-HDD2.5 as a stand-alone network device; no PC or AP connected, just the PPC and the Asus and a power supply.
    When I assign a username and password to one of the paritions, and I want to access this partition with my PPC, I am asked for a password - only a password, no username-field - but none of the passwords I defined in the userlist when setting up the WL-HDD partition for not sharing works.

Anyone a hint?
    Just as a side question: how do you stream audio on your PocketPC? Media player does not seem to like remote playlists, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by styx
    Just as a side question: how do you stream audio on your PocketPC? Media player does not seem to like remote playlists, does it?
    use GSPlayer for example.. (and then I mean a shoutcast stream..)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Use 40th iPlayC. It's perfect and works like a charm with the WL-HDD.

But this doesn't help me with my user/password problem....

Guy

Hi Guy,

you should have a user which you currently use in Windows.
    You would have to create this username on the WL-HDD and then give it a password. If yuo the try to connect your Pocket PC should use 'it's' username and the password you're asked for.

Cheers,
    Pepe

<< your Pocket PC should use 'it's' username and the password you're asked for.

Problem is my PPC doesn't ask for a user name, but only a password...

Problem is my PPC doesn't ask for a user name, but only a password...
    Understood, but while you work within Windows you have a user account on your PPC. Windows uses this username while attempting to connect to any network resource.
    You have to find out your username on the PPC and then create a user with this name on the WL-HDD.

Ciao,
    Pepe

Anyone a hint?
    I'm using this with W2000 and it only asks for a password. I've run out of user names to setup / try. Guest works. Maybe the beta 1.2.3.2 has this fixed.

To Pepe,
    I know very good the username I use on my PPC, I use it also for connecting PtP to other PPC's and keep it secure because many registered software need it to function. No doubt about any mistake about that. This username is also on my list of users on my WL-HDD partition, along with my Windows XP-username, my device-id of my PPc, other usernames from my XP-desktop...

To Utter Braten,
    I've run out of user names to setup / try...also.

To anybody,
    anyone managed to make a user-accessible partition on the WL-HDD?

Guy

On Beta 1.2.3.2 I see:

4. Fix: user access right on neighborhood

Could this indeed be a solution to my problem?

Guy

I hope so. The descriptions of ASUS in the firmware changelogs are always somewhat vague. But the problem you describe, also occurs when trying to connect with winXP machine.

Personally, i'll wait for the final 1.2.3.2 firmware and see if its fixed.

I could not notice any difference with the new firmware and WinXp.
    Yes - I do log on any share with my username/password. I can create, delete files without problems.
    No- It does not work well with MS Word. Once Word wants to save a document Word first deletes the current file it and want to replace it by the tmp file. I then get an error and risk to lose the document as tmp file has been erased as well.

Pim

Same for me: no difference with the beta 1.2.3.2 firmware .

Guy

Lightbulb

Hello,

I know this is a very old thread - but I found a solution for the Pocket PC connection problem:
    PPC users needs a third party software to connect a Pocket PC with the WL-HDD.
    This tiny piece of software is called "PocketLan" - it can be purchased here:
    http://www.z2software.com/

Plain Windows Mobile seems to have big troubles with several samba servers.
    The heck with it - PocketLan is much more powerfull than the poor native PPC LAN connection manager.

kind regards,
    Silvio, a new WL-HDD greenhorn...

I use Resco file explorer and its "network" tree lets me access the partition on wLHDD that I store my music and video files.