Thread: DNS questions

DNS questions

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I am unable to find the answer.

I got my WL-500g today, and after a bit of trouble I finally managed to get it to work, but not to my full satisfaction.

The router is behind another router (supplied by my ISP), and the WL-500G gets an IP address from this router. It also gets DNS-addresses, but the problem is that computers on the inside doesn't get this DNS-information.

I managed to correct this by manually setting one of the correct DNS addresses in the DHCP section of the WL-500G.

My previous router (SMC Barricade 2404) was configured the same way, but this router "propagated" the DNS-addresses automatically.

If my ISP changes their DNS address I will have to manually fix this in the WL-500G. This is an annoyment, and I don't know why it doesn't work. The WL-500G is configured as "Home gateway", and this is how I want it to be.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.8.1.9 official, I haven't tried any of the unofficial firmwares yet.

Sorry, I just discovered that this has already been answered elsewhere in this forum. It seems the only way to fix this is to manually enter the DNS address in the WL-500G. It is annoying, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Dns

There is a forwarding DNS in WL500g, You need to set WL500g to get DNS automaticaly from your ISP and then setup DHCP to propagate that your WL500g is DNS server (I thing this is default option - second DNS is always set to IP of WL500g).

I cannot find any option to specify that I want DNS forwarding.

My router does get two DNS-addresses from the other (ISP) router, but it does not forward any of these to the computers that gets their IP from it.

I can see that the second DNS (DNS Server 2) entry in the WL-500G points to itself (and it is grayed out to indicate that it cannot be changed), but the first entry is empty by default. In this case I can not access the internet form the inside by name, only by IP.

When I set the first entry to a correct DNS address, then this address gets propagated to the inside computers, and they can then access the internet by name. The WL-500G seems to be unable to do this automatically, so if my ISP changes their DNS-server, I'll have to fix this manually.

wl500g does not propogate dns settings, instead it's acting as DNS cache/proxy for your PCs. They need to query wl500g and it will perform ISP query if needed.
    Your PCs should be configured for DHCP, i.e. Auto IP and Auto DNS.

This is exactly how my PC's are configured. However, without manually setting a DNS address in the first entry of the WL-500G, it will not work.

Well, type this in hidden admin page
    Code:
    cat /tmp/resolv.conf

The command returns (as expected) the two DNS servers that it has aquired from the other router:

--------------------------

nameserver 217.13.4.24
    nameserver 217.13.7.140

--------------------------

Still, clients on the inside are unable to resolve names until I insert one of these addresses manually on the DHCP-page in the WL-500G.

The clients then gets two DNS-addresses, one is the one entered manually, and the second is the IP of the WL-500G. Leving them with only the WL-500G as DNS does not work, so the WL-500G is clearly unable to resolve names on the client's behalf.

Well, try custom firmware then.

I did in fact try the latest of your firmwares, but I'm not sure I actually tried removing the manual entry to see if it worked without.

I did like the fact that with your custom firmware the router did not pop up the annoying security user/password box all the time, like the 1.8.1.9 does.

However, I'd like to have the url filter functionality intact, and that seems to have disappeared in the (latest) custom firmwares.

Is it necessary to reset to factory defaults when switching firmwares that are above 1.8.x.x, or can I just upgrade and downgrade as I want to test stuff?

I am also having problems with WLAN and my laptop. The laptop has an internal "LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 PCI" interface, and I am unable to get this to connect to the router unless I set "802.11B Only" mode in the router. This is annoying, since I am also planning to use some G-devices in the near future. Any advice? I can't find any newer drivers for the WLAN in the laptop either, so I'm pretty much stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by oyvindk
    I did like the fact that with your custom firmware the router did not pop up the annoying security user/password box all the time, like the 1.8.1.9 does.
    yes, this is a bug in stock firmware.
    However, I'd like to have the url filter functionality intact, and that seems to have disappeared in the (latest) custom firmwares.
    This never worked in the custom firmwares, so page was removed.
    Is it necessary to reset to factory defaults when switching firmwares that are above 1.8.x.x, or can I just upgrade and downgrade as I want to test stuff?
    This should work.
    I am also having problems with WLAN and my laptop. The laptop has an internal "LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 PCI" interface, and I am unable to get this to connect to the router unless I set "802.11B Only" mode in the router. This is annoying, since I am also planning to use some G-devices in the near future. Any advice? I can't find any newer drivers for the WLAN in the laptop either, so I'm pretty much stuck.
    You need to find out chip name, which is used in your card (this is probably Orinoco or Prism 2/2.5) and then look for the drivers provided by other vendors (you will need to modify .inf file to install updated drivers). In fact you just need to know PCI vendor and device id.

Ok, so the URL filter doesn't work in any of the custom firmwares?
    Does it work properly in the official ones? If not, then there is no reason for me to stick with the official firm.

Quote Originally Posted by oyvindk
    Ok, so the URL filter doesn't work in any of the custom firmwares?
    yes, except probably very old based on 1.6.5.3.
    Does it work properly in the official ones? If not, then there is no reason for me to stick with the official firm.
    To my knoweldge it requires exact match on the site name, which makes it useless in most cases. Try it yourself.
    Also, it will not work with your config - it requires DNS proxy to work and it will block any DNS traffic to external hosts.

Well, I tested the URL filter in 1.8.1.9 official, and it is totally useless, and therefore I have no compelling reason to keep stock firmware.

Thanks for your responses!

I've now loaded your latest custom firmware (1.9.2.7-3), and in this version the DNS forwarding works as advertised. I've tried removing the manual entry, and then I renewed the IP on my computer. DNS now works, and my computer has no knowledge of the "real" DNS-servers.