Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: WL-500W with Maxtor OneTouch spin up problem

  1. #1

    Unhappy WL-500W with Maxtor OneTouch spin up problem

    I have a WL-500W running with Oleg's firmware, and I have connected a Maxtor OneTouch 4 - 1TB to one of the usb ports.
    This setup causes a problem as the WL-500W does not allow the usb disc to spin up after a standby.

    One "solution" would be to prevent the disk from entering standby, but I would really like to use this feature.

    Is there any way to make the WL-500W wait before trying to access the disc, allowing it to spin up?
    As far as I can see the problem with the OneTouch is well known on google, but I cannot manage to get any of the solutions to fit into the structure of the WL-500W. One of the solutions written in many places suggests to do the following:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/allow_restart
    but I see no such file anywhere on the WL-500W.

    Can anyone help me with a solution to the problem?
    I am willing to test stuff and provide any relevant information you might need to help me.

    Here is a dump of the log when the disc is accessed after a standby:
    Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: Device 08:01 not ready.
    Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 755236880
    Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=23601153, block=94404610

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands - Eindhoven
    Posts
    1,767
    woa, mostly ppl have problems spinning the hdd down
    I shall try to find something for you tomorrow

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    woa, mostly ppl have problems spinning the hdd down
    I shall try to find something for you tomorrow
    Yeah, I know that is usually the problem
    But I don't have that problem as i am running most of the system from a usb flash device and only has the Maxtor mounted at /opt, which means that there is no need to access it all the time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands - Eindhoven
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by nisseman View Post
    Yeah, I know that is usually the problem
    But I don't have that problem as i am running most of the system from a usb flash device and only has the Maxtor mounted at /opt, which means that there is no need to access it all the time
    I'm sorry, but i couldn find a solution for you
    maybe you have better luck asking the same question in the wl-500gP forum, there are more experienced people reading and posting there

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I'm sorry, but i couldn find a solution for you
    maybe you have better luck asking the same question in the wl-500gP forum, there are more experienced people reading and posting there
    Anyway, thanks for trying
    I will try to ask at the other forum.

Similar Threads

  1. Multicast problem
    By luon in forum WL-500w Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 12:26
  2. Spin down and ftp-Problem with FW kfurge 1.0.7.8
    By fraho in forum WL-700g Firmware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-05-2008, 00:55
  3. Asus + Zadacom default gateway problem
    By Anttu in forum WL-500gP Q&A
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-02-2008, 06:35
  4. HD spin down problem
    By batmanone in forum WL-700g Firmware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-10-2007, 17:43
  5. WL-500gP and Asus support experience
    By Blezi in forum WL-500gP Q&A
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 12:59

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •