Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft MN700 hack project

currently i'm getting this:

wrtjtag -flash:cfe /noreset

Probing bus...
    CHIP ID: 00000100011100010000000101111111 (0471017F)
    *** Found a Broadcom BCM4702 Rev 1 chip ***

Enabling Memory Writes...Done

Configuring Memory...Done

*** You Selected to Flash the CFE.BIN ***
    =========================
    Flashing Routine Started
    =========================
    Probing for AMD Flash...ID000000C2)... *** Unable to Locate AMD Flash Chip ***
    i can backup the cfe/nvram/kernel fine. but it won't erase or flash.

using WRT54G EJTAG DeBrick Utility v2.2, win32 version. also if i don't use /noreset, it hangs after "Resetting processor...\nDone"

You need to adjust utility to support MX flash chips. There should be a check for 0x1 as an ID - you should add 0xc2 as one of the possibilities. Do you've source code?

ah, ok. i'll boot from linux and fix it source. thanks.

Once bootloader is correctly flashed, the power LED should start blinking with yellow indicating recovery mode. Use ASUS utility to upload 1.9.2.7-4 firmware. Once done, the unit should reboot, and the led should become yellow (bootloader), then it will be turned off by firmware and finally become green indicating that unit is completely booted with firmware.

ok, booted from a slackware installation cd and used the modified wrt54g binary (which i compiled on another box) to flash pmon.

after booting back from windows, the asus utility didn't see the device at first. rebooted the device. ping replys started coming back, but asus util still couldn't update.

so i just tftp'd the firmware and it's now working. hellooo, WL500!

fixing wrtjtag.exe

back up the file, and then open it with an hex editor. (ultraedit is good)

look for: 01 5E 74 14 68 B8 AA
    replace with: 01 5E EB 14 68 B8 AA (replace the 74 with EB)

that removes the amd-flash check from wrtjtag.exe. so you can use it with the mn700.

by the way, that wrtjtag.exe i'm talking about is located at: http://www.ranvik.net/prosjekter-pri...4g_og_wrt54gs/
    just get it and replace the byte before using with mn700. (if you don't edit it, you won't be able to erase/write to flash. backup always works)

and everybody thank Oleg for the info and pmon images

edit: by the way, the win32 wrtjtag.exe is twice as slow compared to the linux "wrt54g" binary. (23 secs to go up 1% in win32, 11 secs in linux. also in windows if you set it to low priority or use some cpu power -like watching a movie while flashing-, it tends to hang sometimes.)
    Last edited by disq; 23-03-2005 at 03:56.

if asus flash util fails (in recovery mode), the appropriate way to flash is:

- open up a "ping -t 192.168.1.1" window
    - get in recovery mode: power off, hold reset, power on, wait one second, release reset. the power led should start blinking slowly in orange.
    - ping replys should start coming shortly. you can now close the ping window.
    - run the asus flash util, select the firmware, hit upload (it will fail, just wait till it fails)
    - close the flash util
    - use a tftp client to upload the firmware. like this, in winxp: tftp.exe -i 192.168.1.1 put firmwareimage.trx
    - wait a few (around 10, for example) seconds just to be safe

- if you are flashing an ASUS firmware, it won't self-boot. just plug the power off, and replug it. it should boot and the green leds should light up. (login from web with admin/admin)

- if you are flashing openwrt, it will take some time until the self-init is complete. do not turn the device off. and wait until you see the green leds come up. if everything goes OK, you should be able to telnet to the box. after logging in, reboot the box (via the "reboot" command, or by cycling power) so the filesystem is completely initialized. (firmware i used was: OpenWRT Experimental Generic JFFS2 4MB)

Quote Originally Posted by disq
    fixing wrtjtag.exe

back up the file, and then open it with an hex editor. (ultraedit is good)

look for: 01 5E 74 14 68 B8 AA
    replace with: 01 5E EB 14 68 B8 AA (replace the 74 with EB)

that removes the amd-flash check from wrtjtag.exe. so you can use it with the mn700.

by the way, that wrtjtag.exe i'm talking about is located at: http://www.ranvik.net/prosjekter-pri...4g_og_wrt54gs/
    just get it and replace the byte before using with mn700. (if you don't edit it, you won't be able to erase/write to flash. backup always works)

and everybody thank Oleg for the info and pmon images

edit: by the way, the win32 wrtjtag.exe is twice as slow compared to the linux "wrt54g" binary. (23 secs to go up 1% in win32, 11 secs in linux. also in windows if you set it to low priority or use some cpu power -like watching a movie while flashing-, it tends to hang sometimes.)
    if possible please include the (altered) util in your post so other people can use it as well

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

the modified wrtjtag-modified.exe along with the required files to run it is attached. you would still want to read HairyDairyMaid_WRT54G_v2_DeBrick_Guide.pdf first, which is available in several places, including the above url.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok, booted from a slackware installation cd and used the modified wrt54g binary (which i compiled on another box) to flash pmon.

after booting back from windows, the asus utility didn't see the device at first. rebooted the device. ping replys started coming back, but asus util still couldn't update.

so i just tftp'd the firmware and it's now working. hellooo, WL500!
    The reason for that is what your PC has multiple network interfaces. ASUS utility is buggy so it could not handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    The reason for that is what your PC has multiple network interfaces. ASUS utility is buggy so it could not handle this.
    i even tried disabling all the extra interfaces with no luck. anyway, openwrt kernel doesn't recognize the radio, (tho it's kinda working anyhow, captured it's beacon signal via another AP running kismet) do you exactly know what steps to take (in the openwrt source tree, prolly just kernel configuration) to get it running?

also, what does the "Basic MN-700 support" you added to the latest firmware consist of? i'm too lazy and tired to fetch both versions and do a diff, maybe you can sum it up for us?

i even tried disabling all the extra interfaces with no luck. anyway, openwrt kernel doesn't recognize the radio, (tho it's kinda working anyhow, captured it's beacon signal via another AP running kismet) do you exactly know what steps to take (in the openwrt source tree, prolly just kernel configuration) to get it running?
    I've no idea.

also, what does the "Basic MN-700 support" you added to the latest firmware consist of? i'm too lazy and tired to fetch both versions and do a diff, maybe you can sum it up for us?
    LED and RESTORE button support (this is hw dependent).

Thumbs up MN-700 became Wl500g :)))

Just wanted to let you know that after few tries I was able to flash new firmware to my mn700

Right now I'm using 1.9.2.7-4 customized firmware and it's working great.

NOTE to anyone trying to make it work:
    YOUR CABLE CAN'T BE LONGER THAN 20-25 cm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At first my was a little longer and I was able to flash new bootloader.... but it just didn't work. And I tried it many times - believe me it's very annoying. But once I cut my cable almost in half - one flashing was enough. The rest is very easy just as it is explained in forum. IMHO it's worth it )))

THANKS TO OLEG FOR BOOTLOADER AND FIRMWARE!

Woo, the stuff works :P I think......someone should send me a cable lol.

EDIT: OK, that's better.

Cool! Nice work you guys. But... don't you think this thread should be somewhere else? I can't imagine anyone looking for it would think of it being here.
    Last edited by tomilius; 27-03-2005 at 22:19.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast