Thread: Microsoft MN700 hack project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whats the update on this?

Me and a few others have been pushing for a hack on this router. The microsoft firmware doesn't seem to cut it. We asked sveasoft, right here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...6800~mode=flat

Also if someone can program in .NET, maybe they can provide modules?

"The Wireless Base Station MN-700 is powered by Windows® CE .NET 4.2,enabling Microsoft, its partners and other developers to create additional applications and benefits for customers"

Hopefully someone figures out a Hack!

this was a great router, and microsoft had a really slick interface for it. It is a crying shame they refused to fix the bugs.

Well, we've already 1.9.2.7-3c firmware running on this box. Minor cleanups are needed for both firmware and bootloader.

Firmware

So this is doable, and already running for some? Will it be doable for the end user, or do we hack our way through to get it to work.

At the moment JTAG cable is required, but it's very simple. See above.
    Probably it's also possible to reflash it directly from WinCE, but we've not tried this.

Very intrested

I am very intrested in this, dont have a jtag cable though. Hm, if flashing from WinCE were possible... This default Microsoft firmware just seems too buggy right now, it keeps freezing using bittorent or emule or something that creates lots of load for a long time. This work is truely wonderful :P

You need to build cable yourself, it's extremely cheap...
    I do not have any plans to play with WinCE and original loader, this requires to much time and I do not have this unit at all. The only problem is that MS loader uses 192k of flash, while we're using 256k, so I'm not sure if MS firmware will accept larger loader image (this is the only part which needs to written, once done it will flash firmware itself).
    Finally, the device is now works with WL-500g firmware. I've also prepared new bootloader image, which should be flashed via JTAG using Linux. I will post instructions later, including some info required to make application above to work with Macronix flash chip used in the MN-700.
    To make this work I've remotely controlled guy, owning this unit, which has build jtag cable and gathered required info. So, now it just works. He has about 7 units, which would be flashed this way.
    BTW, mn-700 is the most inexpensive unit in the USA ($35), which is based on the broadcom reference design and it could work with linux based firmwares now.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller
    this was a great router, and microsoft had a really slick interface for it. It is a crying shame they refused to fix the bugs.
    Chupa will take off where M$ left it [to die]
    my sentiments exactly! They could have at least added functioning AP client mode to the list of to-do's.
    As for custom firmwares, I think the Asus was the answer right off the bat.
    Last edited by Oleg; 23-02-2005 at 09:12. Reason: Moderated, sorry.